Thread: Big Wood or Lake Erie?

Big Wood or Lake Erie?

Any thoughts/opinions on the two manufacturers of these fine wooden vise screws? I know that BW's are bigger, literally. Looks like 1/8" bigger in diameter, and a full 2" longer, for whatever that's worth. At the same time, LE is a little more pricey (only $10 more ) for the kit and they charge shipping & handling. BW includes that in the price. LE has a sweet brass garter for some bling, but really, I can fashion my own wood garter...seriously.

Anyone with experience have any comments? And yes, I know Chris Schwartz used the LE w/brass garter on his last Roubo build.
    Maurice

I cannot comment on the big wooden vise, but I just got my Lake Erie screw and I feel it is very well made. The fit and finish are excellent and the brass garter is machined well. I had the same conundrum and bought the Lake Erie because I wanted the brass garter.

I will mention that it took several weeks longer than they indicate on the website to get my order.

I bought two screws from Bigwoodvise back in 2008, before Lake Erie Toolworks was an option. They were well-made and I've been happy with them.

At that time, their screws were 2" diameter, but I see now they are making 2-5/8". With the Lake Erie ones at 2-1/2", I don't think 1/8" makes any meaningful difference one way or the other.

The extra 2" in length might matter if 1) you have a fairly thick leg and 2) you are planning to mount the nut on the back of the leg and 3) your work involves situations where you would open the vise as wide as possible.