Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta Slow Speed Grinder update this month?

Delta Slow Speed Grinder update this month?

The Delta 8" Slow Speed Grinder doesn't seem to be available until the end of March

Woodcraft - "Item will ship after March 27"
    The Delta Machinery grinder shows the 8" VS but then says "No products in this category".
    On Buy.com - "Sold out. Check back soon"
    Amazon - "Currently unavailable"

Does anyone know if there is a break in production or a newer model coming out?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Brian-
    I would wait for the Woodcraft to go on sale - which it does a couple times a year. It'll be < $100 then. It's generally reputed here to be a good value. I have one but have not used it because (and here's the 2nd part of my post):

I have the same Delta 6" VS grinder that you probably have. It'll hold you over just fine until you get a bigger one. I'm even running a CBN 8" wheel on mine - although I wouldn't recommend that with a matrix wheel.

My point is if you have the white AO wheel that came with yr current Delta, you should be ok for a good several months. The difference in wheel radius is not really that big a deal that you can't 'get by' until you find a good deal on an 8"...

I don't know if it's available in your area but the local Menard's store here had the 8 inch VS grinders on sale for $99 last weekend. It comes with one wheel and a wire brush. It also includes a light and wheel dressing tool.
    Wood'N'Scout

I believe Delta scrapped the GR450, and are either releasing a new product or at least a redesigned version. McFeely's is now selling Sheppach slow speed and VS grinders for around $120-140. Might be worth checking out. Comes with white wheels like the Woodcraft, but might not be the generic Asian import. Or it might be.

Here is one with the Craftsman badge.
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...G2#reviewsWrap

Wonder if that model was discontinued with the Porter Cable/ Delta split? Lowe' s has the 6" model in the PC badge. They no longer show the 8" model.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I am planning on using the white disk on my 6" vs for now. I am just "windows shopping".

Prashun,
    Any "set up" issues to use the cbn 8 inch wheel on your 6 inch vs delta grinder. I have that grinder and would love to go for the 8 inch cbn wheel

If you are looking at the grinder for its low speed, keep in mind that the surface speed of the 8" grinder is quite a bit faster than a 6" VS grinder. I bought one of the Delta 8" VS grinders shortly befor they discontinued them. The overall quality is crap. Must of been made in a Chinese startup factory. The wheels wobble side to side. I haven't dropped the money for good replacements yet, as I'm not sure if that will correct it.

Brian

As a followup to Prashun's post - I caught Woodcraft's 8" slow speed unit for $89.99 in Jan. I was a little leary of it - since I saw some review somewhere which criticized it for the wheels wobbling. Woodcraft had a enclosure in the box on how to adjust it, but mine has none. It run's very smooth. Very satisfied with it.

It's a nice upgrade from the 6" B&D unit I was using.

Jim

Bill- I'm not recommending doing this, since I'm not sure how safe it is. However, I'll share my experience.

Since matrix style wheels have the risk of breaking, I believe it's unadvisable to use those wheels without a guard. The CBN does not have the risk of exploding, so that's why I decided to try it.

The hole in the CBN wheel is 1". THis means you need an arbor adaptor. The 6" grinder has a 1/2" arbor so you need to get the appropriate bushing. If you plan to upgrade to a 8" in the future, then get the 5/8" bushing to. Failure to do that is the only (read, dumb) reason I haven't switched mine to my 8" grinder.

I did have to debur the arbor with emory cloth to fit the bushing.

I did not have to elevate the grinder on its stand; there was enough clearance under the wheel - and just enough clearance on the arbor to seat the wing nut.

You'll notice on d-way's site that in a week, Dave is offering a 6" CBN wheel too, so that's an option.

I've been running my CBN on one side and a 6" blue AO wheel on the other. I expected it to wobble, but it runs truer and smoother than ever before.

I've found no issues so far.

The CBN really does live up to its hype. No loss of diameter, no mess, smooth, quiet, fast, wide. The smoothness is the thing that I love best. Running 'regular' wheels requires a good investment in effort or $$ to true up the wheels. I never did that, and just dealt with the vibration during sharpening. This was both dangerous and inefficient (read, really dumb).

Anyway, that's my 2c

I assume that CBN means cubic boron nitride. Just a guess, you know. And it better be good if it costs more than the grinder!

I found the "wobble" in my grinders are not due to the wheel. It is/was the cheap stamped metal disc's used as washers on the arbor. I'm looking for machined replacements now.
    Wood'N'Scout

Delta Delta GR450

I just spoke to a salesperson at Woodworker's Supply and was told that the replacement for the
    Delta GR450 would be available in late April.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    The Delta 8" Slow Speed Grinder doesn't seem to be available until the end of March

Woodcraft - "Item will ship after March 27"
    The Delta Machinery grinder shows the 8" VS but then says "No products in this category".
    On Buy.com - "Sold out. Check back soon"
    Amazon - "Currently unavailable"

Does anyone know if there is a break in production or a newer model coming out?

Hey thanks, Ken.

I went ahead and got a blue Norton 3X wheel for the 6" grinder. If I ever get the 8", I'll keep this one set up for chisels and plane blades.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/208...d-grinder.aspx

Looks like it is back - without the Delta name.