Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greene and Greene What!? My first build along thread

Jim, nobody has ever accused me of being sane, especially not my wife. No Tiffany light fixture for the drill press, you can't see it in the pictures but there is a crystal chandelier hanging from the ceiling above. I thought everybody had one?

I would say it was over the top, but it's goes under.
    It's like Roy Underhill's Mystery Mallet...a woodworker's inside joke.

I love it.

Over the weekend I was able to secure the two sub-assemblies, plug the holes for the connecting screws and then began working on the dark plugs for the top and the finger joints. I decided after a bit of practice that I wasn't going to shape the dark plugs before I installed them. Instead i left them square and then paired them to shape with a sharp chisel and some sandpaper. Overall I am pretty happy with how they came out, but I think that for any G&G builds down the road I will spend the time to get them shaped right before install. I think that I will be able to get a more consistent shape that way. I then cut the 3/4" by 1 1/8" wide brackets to fit in the stopped grooves of the base to hold the saw. I have nixed the plywood panel as I feel the brackets will be sufficient to hold the saw and I don't want to raise the saw that extra 3/4". Work ended this weekend after I installed the brackets. Over the next couple days I should be able to final sand and apply finish. After that I'll install the casters. This one should be wrapped up in a few days. Pics:
    IMAG0971.jpgIMAG0973.jpgIMAG0977.jpgIMAG0978.jpgIMAG0984.jpgIMAG0985.jpgIMAG0986.jpg

Here it is finished and under the saw. In use it does its job well even going over the expansion joints in my concrete floor fairly well with the 3" casters. I will have to be careful about how I approach those cracks though. All in all I would say that this was a very useful project as it allowed me to use and learn my new bandsaw, allowed me to take a step into Greene and Greene design and build, I learned Sketch-up and I performed several operations during the build that I had not yet attempted. I thought that I may never get a chance to build a G&G style piece before beginning this mobile base, but I now know that this style is something I will be working with again sometime. Thanks for following me during this build.
    IMAG0989.jpgIMAG0992.jpgIMAG0994.jpg

Great job! That General may have no idea how lucky it is! Shame that the mice in the shop get the best view of the details!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    wow, that is a mighty fine job!
    you should make up a set of dimensional plans and send it and the pics into a magazine, i bet they would publish it!
    i know i would love to see some more detailed plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin German View Post
    Jim, nobody has ever accused me of being sane, especially not my wife. No Tiffany light fixture for the drill press, you can't see it in the pictures but there is a crystal chandelier hanging from the ceiling above. I thought everybody had one?
    I think it looks great, good work Darin.

I think this was a great idea. You get a shop fixture that you needed and got some practical, useful experience that you can use in furniture making. Plus, you got to try out a style of furniture to see if you like it and you aren't stuck with some big piece of furniture if it turns out you don't like the style.

Classy! I like it! Also agree that when you have time or need, overbuilding shop stuff is great practice for furniture.
    I dovetail everything because I like them and I enjoy the practice.
    -Brian

A turner who I respect once told me that he makes his tool handles from the most beautiful woods he finds. He said being surrounded by beautiful tools inspires him to do beautiful work.
    Very attractive way to meet your shop needs.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Thank you all for the kind words. I had fun building this and sharing it with this community. I have saved the Sketch-up model to the 3D warehouse with parts blown out with measurements. Search for Greene and Greene Inspired Mobile Base if you're interested.

darin, that's a great mobile stand. wonder if someone else built a shaker version?