Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Festool owners: Are they really that good?

Festool owners: Are they really that good?

OK Festool people, you've got me intrigued. Are the Festool products really that good, and if so, what is it about them that makes you prefer them over more common brands?

After becoming fed up with the shortcomings and continuous problems with almost all of my PC tools, I purchased a Bosch router kit and am extremely impressed. Quite simple, everything about the Bosch router is better than the PC - design, function, ease of use, performance, etc. If my PC router was a Chevy, then the Bosch is at least a Toyota if not an entry level Lexus. Consequently, I've decided that my days of PC products are over, and am considering a look at Festool. But like I said, I'm extremely impressed with the Bosch router.

Why should I consider Festool?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Vermeil
    OK Festool people, you've got me intrigued. Are the Festool products really that good, and if so, what is it about them that makes you prefer them over more common brands?

After becoming fed up with the shortcomings and continuous problems with almost all of my PC tools, I purchased a Bosch router kit and am extremely impressed. Quite simple, everything about the Bosch router is better than the PC - design, function, ease of use, performance, etc. If my PC router was a Chevy, then the Bosch is at least a Toyota if not an entry level Lexus. Consequently, I've decided that my days of PC products are over, and am considering a look at Festool. But like I said, I'm extremely impressed with the Bosch router.

Why should I consider Festool?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike
    Innovative Design (you can do things that you never even thought were possible -and you can do those things safely).

High quality (starting with a three year warrenty, but I expect my tools to last much longer than that).

Great service (in my case both from Festool itself and from Bob Marino).

An "interesting" shade of green.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 03-23-2005 at 12:49 PM.

Think Porsche

Mike,

I LOVE mine...... I've raved about the Rotex sander many times in the past, so I won't bore people with that again.

I've recently begun using the big MFT, plunge saw, and OF1400 router that I got for Christmas. I haven't had time (and don't have time now, really, to answer your question) to write a full review, but suffice to say that I'm VERY happy.

In each and every case, Festool tools are either a huge improvement over what I had before (Rotex, Router, Plunge), or allow me new capabilities that I did not have before (MFT, Rotex). I'm actually in the process of selling some tools - like a Dewalt 705 CMS w/stand because the Festool stuff is so good and the other tools are no longer needed.

Yes, they're a lot more money, but I can honestly saw that I'm happier - even after considering the extra expense - with my Festool equipment than I am with any other tools I have. And I'm not one to typically rave about tools, or anything else...... Dave.

Yes!!!!

They really are that good. I have their jigsaw, ROS and plunge cut circular saw. All perform better than their competition by a mile! I have used the ROS many times and it makes what is normally a crumby chore fun. The circular saw with the guide rail is outstanding. I use it instead of my TS for large sheet goods. The vacuum is top notch too. All are ergonomically superior and the support is A1!

Yes, they are that good.

Yes, indeed.

I think two of the features that set Festool apart from other high-quality brands are:

1. The tools work as a system. Everything works with the guide rails and Multifunction table rails. The guide rail system provides an exceptionally positive guide with no play anywhere. All of the tools, except for the sanders, work with the guide rails.

2. The dust collection really works. You could literally sand in your living room. All of the tools in the line have well-engineered dust collection methods.

I do wish I had discovered Festool years ago, and not spent all the money on what I thought were top-grade tools. It's not that the tools I bought are bad - it's that Festool is that much better. Swallow hard and spend the extra bucks - you will not be disappointed.

Dave summed up my thoughts pretty well and I'll add that I'm now finding new ways to work that are easier and more efficient because of the "system" and the excellent dust control. I used to hate to use hand-held motorized tools for reasons spanning inadiquacy, quality, vibration and so forth. That has all changed since I invested in the Festool products. And I'll admit I wasn't convinced until I had Bob come to my shop with a whole SVU full of his own tools and I got to try them out in my own hands. Unfortunately, that also exercised that age-old sales principle called "transfer of ownership"...once you hand the pencil to the prospect, it's hard for them to hand it back!!! And I have no regrets about that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

On top of what's been said,

German Engineering, Germna Enginerring, and German Engineering.

Continually working on designs to save time and money for the professional, thus even the basic user gets tools for everyday use.

Ergonomics, dust collection, bla bla bla

So,

YES! YES! YES!
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

You bet

Let me Qualify first,
    For 30 years I have been making a living
    building stuff. I knew about festool when
    they called themselves Festo.
    For 29 years I scoffed at laying out
    that kind of money for any tool.
    Besides one of the guys would break it.
    Well I was just cheap and ignorant.
    These tools save me time and money.
    I wish I had not waited so long.
    Don't make the same mistake.
    Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Mike

From a fairly limited exposure - yes they are that good. I have a ROS (150/5) which is a complete charm both from vibration and dust management perspective. I could not imagine going back to any other make having had the Festool experience.

They work, they're efficient, and dust collection is designed in and not a poor and unhealthy afterthought. Poney up the bucks and enjoy.

Go For It

Mike

I'll echo everything everybody else said. I have a a saw, dust extractor, Rotex, jig saw and multifunction table. I am constantly learning how to expand their capabilities.

A recent example, a friend stopped by with a boat project, replacing a piece of rotted out plywood inside a locker. Two parallel sides, two tapering sides. I just plopped the old hatch on top of a piece of plywood, ran a pencil around it, picked up the saw and guide, laid it down on the lines and make four cuts. Two minutes later the project was done. Try doing that on a table saw!

I am sure your post will bring out the "yeah but they're expensive" critics. We all make economic tradeoffs in our lives, so I'm not going to get into that trap. To me, value is more than just price, and these tools make the grade, the system design is very important to me, my friends are amazed at the dust collection. Check out the package deals, that can ease the pain when you start buying.

Here's a link to John Lucas' website, he has done a lot of work with Festools and presents lots of great ideas

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/men-fes.htm

Jay

13. Here's an interesting thread for Festool owners to read.

ukworkshop.co.uk

Not making any point, just thought it was worth a read.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 03-25-2005 at 8:09 AM. Reason: removed direct link to another public forum - - violates SMC TOS

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Bertrand
    Here's an interesting thread for Festool owners to read.

Not making any point, just thought it was worth a read.

And a good read it is. I suppose it is rude to comment on another thread in ways that make no sense unless one has read that thread, so I will briefly summarize. Seems a fellow has experienced a problem with his Festool saw. Sounds like a bad bearing to me. Since he makes his living as a woodworker, he bought another Festool while they fix his present saw (his idea, and quite happily done as he LOVES his Festools). Other issues came up in the thread relative to noises and the ability to set two saws to cut exactly the same but it seems no one there doesn't love Festool.

Here in the colonies, in the owner's group. we have determined the noise as just a function of the speed control doing its job. Push the saw aggressively and the noise melts away. And, two saws can be set to cut exactly the same on the same guiderail. There is a draft of a new manual on the Owner's group website and this issue is discussed therein.

What is pertinent to this thread is the overall satisfaction of the users, even the fellow who experienced a problem. He may be the most resolute of the bunch. The actual failure mode and Festool's response is yet to be determined. Stay tuned.

Greg
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 03-25-2005 at 8:11 AM.

Each of the Festools I've bought has different design features that fixed the things bothering me about other tools.

The ATF55 was the biggest revelation. I had been using a homemade guide rail with my circular saw for years. But, I'd go outside and setup some sawhorses to do the work so my shop wouldn't get engulfed in a dust cloud. I bought the Festool only for dust collection so I wouldn't have to go outside in the cold. But, the clean cuts and great design have made it a staple of my shop. I never considered that I would use it instead of my tablesaw for many cuts. In fact, I figured that I would use it to size down sheet goods for a final pass through the table saw, like I had been doing for years.

The ETS150 sander has small improvements that make it much more pleasant to sand. No more buzzing numb hands, excellent dust collection, and increased paper life just make the task faster, easier and more pleasant.

The OF1400 router has a number of thoughtful design features along with smooth quiet operation and dust collection. It is probably a similar step from your Bosch to a Festool as it was from the PC to your Bosch. The OF1400 has left my Bosch router in the dust (so to speak).

Jay
    Jay St. Peter