Thread: Color fill on anodized

Color fill on anodized

I have a request to make about 400 tags for a customer, the only hesitation is that they would like them colored. Will color fill (from laser bits) last on an anodized aluminum dog tag? These are for a Marine themed Bar Mitvah party.
    IMG_6215.jpg
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem.(R. Reagan)

Epilog Helix 60 watt laser
    Corel Draw X5
    EngraveLab 8

Looking in my copy of LaserBits Catalog ... the color fill is for wood, plastic and stone. Imagine it would work on deep engraved metal. But I doubt it will stick to andoized alum.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

You could mask them, engrave and then spray paint before pealing off the mask. You would have to do a test though to make sure the edges don't get blurry doing it that way.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

After lasering, dip the pieces in a bath of spirit based dye for a few minutes. (The coloured dyes for wood are good - felt-tip pens work too).
    Rinse off the excess dye and drop the pieces (one by one, so the water does not cool too much) into boiling water and simmer for a few minutes.

The above replicates the colouring of newly anodised aluminium - the boiling water seals in the dye.
    The engraved part probably won't be quite as well dyed and fixed as the original, but good enough for most purposes.

I have done this and it works. I believe that Dee has also had success with this method.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

I think Dee had some good luck with the method Mike mentioned. I'm not sure any other color fill will hold up to daily ware. Sublimation is the best choice. My choice - Magic Touch Transfer paper ($63) with an inexpensive laser printer ($98), Digital Heat press off eBay ($250). I've been testing for 11 months and I have a couple tags on my key chain that have held up as well as any other anodized tag I carry.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I've never tried the dipping method mentioned but I'd default to outsourcing this order.

http://amcraft-asi.com/dog-tags/ is just a quick link I found off google. I doubt you can match that pricing. I'm sure there are plenty of other vendors who can do something similarly. You're looking at $200+/- for sending an art file to a company. It's easy money.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Just need to find someone local with a pad printer..... 400 would be a small run with a single color.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hunter View Post
    After lasering, dip the pieces in a bath of spirit based dye for a few minutes. (The coloured dyes for wood are good - felt-tip pens work too).
    Rinse off the excess dye and drop the pieces (one by one, so the water does not cool too much) into boiling water and simmer for a few minutes.

The above replicates the colouring of newly anodised aluminium - the boiling water seals in the dye.
    The engraved part probably won't be quite as well dyed and fixed as the original, but good enough for most purposes.

I have done this and it works. I believe that Dee has also had success with this method.
    It's interesting that this works as you are right, this is the dying process not the anodising process that allows the dye to sit inside the porous surface of the aluminium.

I guess it would depend a little bit on how much anodising was done in the first place, if it was very thin then you may have destroyed it with the engraving and dye may or may not work very well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jason harris View Post
    I guess it would depend a little bit on how much anodising was done in the first place, if it was very thin then you may have destroyed it with the engraving and dye may or may not work very well.
    As long as you're not heavy-handed in your power setting, you won't blow away the anodizing, just re-open the pores. Thickness of the anodizing won't have any appreciable effect on whether or not this works.

I didn't see it mentioned above, but lasered anodizing really doesn't leave a channel to capture color-fill, so it's a non-starter.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Neil, of the dot
    Just a side note, consider kicking up the resolution a bit
    to get rid of of the "dot pattern"

Semper Fi! (I'm not a Marine, I know many and believe in what they can accomplish!)

Tim,
    are you using silver and transfering a color background to?
    If you find a way to transfer metallic colors please share!

There are a few ways I have worked with just not durable.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!