Well, I finally completed the installation of my laser tube and both of the mirrors on the beam. The tube and mirrors were a snap but the beam alignment took some time to accomplish. I had promised to take some pictures along the way but the truth is there isn't anything to take a picture of that would provide any worthwhile information.

Epilog's Tech Support (Peck Sidara) was very helpfull and responded to all my questions almost immediately. I was sent instructions with my rebuilt tube that were clear and made the change-out procedure easy to accomplish. The entire ordeal could easilly be done in an afternoon if you work with the Tech Support folks, my personal schedule got in the way and it took me several days to get my machine running but Peck was understanding and worked around my crazy schedule. This is one of those times when purchasing from a reputable manufacturer that supports their products helps to justify not purchasing a machine based on price alone.

I have run several tests and the new tube seems to be just as powerfull as the original. Vector cutting is leaving a very smooth edge and raster engraving seems to be working at the same speed and power settings I was using previously. I still have a couple of tests to do but I'm confident at this point that everything is "Good to Go".

Overall I would say the procedure is not something to be worried about for those of you who have not yet had to change your laser tube. The entire task required a couple of screwdrivers, one allen wrench, several drops of epoxy and a lot of tape for the alignment process but it was generally painless.

The total cost of replacing my 35 watt tube and both mirrors came to $1370.60 and the only advice I have is to keep this in mind when pricing your work in the future. Laser Engravers require maintenance that you must plan for so price your work accordingly. I doubt my tube had anywhere close to 500 hours of running time on it when the electronics failed, your mileage will most likely vary. If you own a laser engraver you would be wise to plan for these costs in advance just in case your tube fails to provide the 10,000 hours that most tube manufacturers suggest. My laser engraver is still the most proffitable machine in my shop but I must admit that my new CNC Router is gaining ground these days