Thread: Alumajet Sample Arrived

Alumajet Sample Arrived

Hi All,

I just got my sample pack from Horizons Inc. ISG (Imaging Systems Group)... I wanted to see what the inkjet printable aluminum was like. I also got Alumamark and DuraBlack. Unfortunately, the samples are very small, only 2" x 3" ave. so there is not a lot to experiment with. Worse, the Alumajet sample comes already printed and laminated so there is no way to test it on my own printer (the whole point of asking for samples...)

The sample looks nice, although it is a bit blurry. I don't know if it is the printing, the small focus range or the lamination that caused that.

As if by fate, I also lost an ebay auction for a Seal Jr. which is a small (8.5" x 11") laminating press which sold for only $45... I forgot to check back on the auction. Oh well. I will not be buying any of the Alumamark at $63 for 10 (8.5" x 11") sheets without knowing more about it.

I hope someone else will post some results some time. This seems like an interesting and useful substrate.

~ dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Thanks for your concern, Sam. But I'm a "try it and see for myself" kind of person, so that's why the samples were ordered. I was not looking for any info in particular, just checking out a new-to-me substrate. It's all well and good to see samples made by the company, but I like to see what I can create myself.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Dee.. if your printer can handle passing metal sheets, you can try using digital ground.
    Spray (or brush) on a coat and run that through your printer. You need to have a printer
    that has no 'pizza wheels' because they'll mark your print, but the digital ground accepts the
    inkjet coating. Makes for some interesting pieces. I did a photo of the George Washington
    Bridge after I blew out the highlights in Photoshop.. anything white (no ink) comes out
    as brushed aluminum.. and the other colors take on the metallic reflections.
    I forget if the stuff I got was Liquitex or Golden . .but it was one of those two.
    I'm a "try it and see for myself" type too.. only I try it before I actually have a use for it!

Dee,

I don't know what a Seal Jr. is. But have you looked at Harbor Freight? They have a laminator that sells for $25 (even cheaper if you have a 20% off coupon). Here is the link http://www.harborfreight.com/9-inch-...tor-92499.html

I have used it for years and been happy but I only use it to laminate thick card stock for signs, etc. My wife uses it for bookmarks and other items. It laminates the plastic to the card stock so that you can trim without having to leave a "frame" around the card stock where the front and back laminates are stuck to each other.

Bill

Dee, years ago I played with Alumark (it may be better now) it was very difficult to get a conssitant mark.
    Focus, power & speed are very critical. I finally gave up and switched to dye sub and CLTT. I have been interesedt in
    the ink jet stuff so let us know how it works.

I am using Papilo Laminating sheets (Cold Lam) for parking permits. I bought a few hundred blanks, and am printing
    on vinyl (Epson WF1100) then laminating, trim and apply to the blanks. I get involved in these jobs somehow.
    They wanted full color and consecutive numbers. A bit time intensive but a great profit margine!

Have to check on the Seal Jr, if it is a cold laminating roller press there is a lot you can do with it. You can get double sided
    optical adhesive and print to mylar or photo paper then mount to the back of acrylic.

Have fun playing!
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stein View Post
    Dee,

I don't know what a Seal Jr. is. But have you looked at Harbor Freight? They have a laminator that sells for $25 (even cheaper if you have a 20% off coupon). Here is the link http://www.harborfreight.com/9-inch-...tor-92499.html

I have used it for years and been happy but I only use it to laminate thick card stock for signs, etc. My wife uses it for bookmarks and other items. It laminates the plastic to the card stock so that you can trim without having to leave a "frame" around the card stock where the front and back laminates are stuck to each other.

Bill
    Thanks Bill, but that's a plain laminator - I have one of those and it would probably work. What a Seal Dry Mounting press does is hot photo mounting, T-shirt transfers, as well as laminating. I also use it for flattening watercolor paintings, steam drying veneer, hot fabric glue like Stitch-Witchery, and things like that. The Seal Jr. is just a small one which would have been handy because the big Seal units are just that... BIG. And they can take thick substrates.

cheers, dee

Red Coin Mah Jong

Dee

I am not familiar with this type press/laminator. Would a heat press work just as well?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Heat press will only (maybe) work with encapsulation/heat activated type products , wont work with cold lams. A cold lam applicator is more useful than a hot one in terms of lasering.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    Heat press will only (maybe) work with encapsulation/heat activated type products , wont work with cold lams. A cold lam applicator is more useful than a hot one in terms of lasering.
    I'm not sure this would work for encapsulation as it may not get hot enough or even enough. These were really
    designed for mounting photographs and use a special mounting paper that works at lower temperatures for
    archivialibilty. I agree with you Rodne cold roller laminators have much more use for many things we do. I'm surprized
    that the manufacturers don't have a version they market to our markets. Much of the "Crystal and Acrylic fusion" that
    is available could be done quickly and probably cheaper.That being
    said I do have a handful of specialty tools that are best for a particular purpose.

At $45 Dee I don't think you could lose on it, you may find a creative use for a piece as this. May be A Pannini Press
    or to make grilled cheeze! I keep hoping for such an adapter for my Geo Knight Press!
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Dee

I am not familiar with this type press/laminator. Would a heat press work just as well?
    Yes, Mike - SEAL is just a brand name heat press.

Red Coin Mah Jong