Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Euro guard retrofit on a jointer

Blog Entries

Euro guard retrofit on a jointer

Does anyone know of a kit or DIY project that removes the pork chop guard off a jointer and replaces it with a euro-style guard? I like my DJ-20 but would like it even more with a euro guard. Thoughts?

SUVA makes kits but bet they aren't cheap. Dave

Blog Entries
    Any links David? I'm finding a lot of Martin machinery (that use the guard) but no sites selling the guard by itself or as a kit. Thanks!

Maybe our UK friends can help. I think I got the catalog from John Gubb who sells Aigner over there. Rangate might have something as well. Dave

what's the advantage?

SUVA guards cost about $2000. That's an expensive guard for a DJ20!

Go over to that other formum, and search for post by junquecol that have to do with jointing a wide board. One of the links shows a DJ-20 with shop made guard. Or just look at last inside page of current issue of Wood Magazine. That's how I do mine.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 02-27-2012 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Winterowd View Post
    SUVA guards cost about $2000. That's an expensive guard for a DJ20!
    They are not cheap but surely not $2000 for one to fit an 8" jointer. They make several sizes but the shortest is a one piece that covers 340mm. I'm not sure how well they work with US market jointers that have a rabbiting ledge that is kind of in the way. Dave

If nobody makes a specific kit for the DJ-20 (which I doubt) the cheapest way may be to adapt the guard from the Jet JJP-12, you could cut the actual guard extrusion and my guess is their parts would be cheaper than parts from the euro manufacturers.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    what's the advantage?
    Hi Frank, after going to a Euro machine I realised how much safer I felt using the bridge guard, although it took a bit of time to become familiar with it.

I like the fact that the cutter isn't exposed when face jointing, the bridge covers the cutter.

When edge jointing the bridge is drawn back slightly less than the thickness of the work piece. The cutter is exposed then, however the bridge holds the work against the fence at the bottom, keeping you fingers away from the cutter.

Watch videos of the Felder machines in action and you can watch the use of the bridge guard..............Regards, Rod.

that's very interesting... fast forward to 3:11:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lDKT...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Go over to that other formum, and search for post by junquecol that have to do with jointing a wide board. One of the links shows a DJ-20 with shop made guard. Or just look at last inside page of current issue of Wood Magazine. That's how I do mine.
    That is a great quick and easy way to work more safely with the stock guard removed!
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

what's the other forum?

14. Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    If nobody makes a specific kit for the DJ-20 (which I doubt) the cheapest way may be to adapt the guard from the Jet JJP-12, you could cut the actual guard extrusion and my guess is their parts would be cheaper than parts from the euro manufacturers.
    I know this is old but I just ordered the Gaurd. $197 for all the parts. I'll post photos once I start. Has any one completed this upgrade.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    what's the advantage?
    Frank, I find them much nicer to work with as during face jointing I don't ever have the cutter exposed.

This allows a hand over hand switch to the outfeed table that's much more comfortable........Regards, Rod.