Music stand

Hello, I am planning on starting a music stand
    today or tomorrow. Does anyone have any nice
    plans or a site where I could get some. I am also
    interested in any ( rules of thumb ) applying to
    music stands. Height, width, legs,or ajustment
    etc. Thanks in advance, Kevin

Kevin,

The November 2011 issue of Furniture and Cabinet Making (a British magazine) has an article on a music stand. Doesn't include dimensions but does have an exploded view plus construction description.

Larry

Look at Christian Becksvoort's site. Some awesome music stands that he makes. Won't help you with dimensions but great design inspiration.

Blog Entries
    If your customer is a clarinet or oboe player, build them a little shelf underneath for all the crap those guys carry around. I played in college and the high reeds keep little wood shops on their music stands. Your utility shelf should include a sort of little cup holder for the bottle of water to keep reeds in.

Blog Entries
    I got to thinking some more.

If your customer is a tympani player, a book holder might be nice. they spend a lot of time just counting measures, waiting to play.
    If your customer is a flautist, some sort of rack to hold the flute. I've seen a lot of flutes on music stands.
    If your customer plays French Horn, they will need a rag to wipe up the spit. Horn players seem to produce a lot and it winds up on the floor.
    If your customer sits in front of the Trombones, they will also need a spit rag. But it's not for their spit.
    If your customer is low brass, a place to keep beer would be appreciated.