Thread: Delta 46-460 switch!!

Delta 46-460 switch!!

With a the issues I've read about the 46-460's switch problems and the ones I've had in the past it seems I can't make it work in reverse.
    Even after pulling the switch cover off and using compressed air I can't get it to go in reverse.
    It started when I tried to reverse for sanding and I couldn't get it to go forward or turn on at all.
    What is the procedure now?Is the on off switch the problem or the forward reverse switch.
    It turns on and goes forward now.Who do I contact for parts or instructions to repair it?
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!

Jeff, well, i had another model delta with switch problems, sort of design problem, if you use delta parts/replacement the problem may occur again(not fun), i ended up having electrician put another switch on from non delta parts, course that voids the warranty on some aspects of lathe but it never happened again which is good
    Last edited by charlie knighton; 02-26-2012 at 8:50 PM.

Jeff, I had a speed control problem with my Delta 46-460 last year. I called Delta's customer service line 800-2233-7278. The rep. asked if I thought I could install the part myself. I said yes, and they mailed me a complete replacement circuit board. Simple plug in installation and it was back as good as new. Later I trouble shot the original board and determined the problem to be dust in the speed control potentiometer. If I were you I would start with a call to Delta.

Another option would be to jumper around the forward reverse switch or test it with a multimeter to verify that your problem is in the switch and not a loose connection at the other end of those wires. Charlie raises a good point, but if you change out the switch with a non Delta part just keep the old parts and put them back in before claiming any warrenty service.

Thanks guys,I'll give it a whirl.

I called Delta and talked to the tech dept. and determined it was the fwd reverse switch.Then I was transfered to parts and they said they could'nt help me,I'd have to call the Dewalt sevice center in my state.I got Gary on the phone at the sevice center and he said I'd have to send in the switch to get warr.and he did'nt know when it would turn around since he didn't have any switches there and he had machines in the back that had been there for 6 mo. waiting for parts.
    Well he finally took my info and said he would order one and call me when it came in and we would decide how to do the swap for warr.How about these tool companys! Service?Whats that?

It is a shame that an otherwise very well designed lathe is beleaguered with such a shortage of support in the parts arena. Jeff, I hope you can get it fixed soon. In the meantime, I think I would find a work around and send them the switch.

Gary called back today and said he thought he found a loophole in the system and the switch would be sent to me in a week and a half.
    He said he is really tired of people being mad at him and he wished Delta would get it's act together but it has only gotten worse recently.

I own the 46-460 and love it when it works correctly.....Have had the same problem.....there is no support if the unit is over a year old..........................

Jeff, this is probably the same/similar switch at Amazon. The rocker may be a different color, its black, but I checked your parts diagram and this one looks like it will work. If they had an electrical schematic/diagram I could be even surer. If you can verify that your switch only has four wires going to it then I am 99% sure it will work. If it were me I would order this one and put it in if it comes in sooner then the warranty one. If it doesn't just keep it for a spare. If you could post a photo of the underside of your switch showing the wire connections I could change my 99% to either 100% or 0%.

"The best things in life are not things."

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Raymond View Post
    I own the 46-460 and love it when it works correctly.....Have had the same problem.....there is no support if the unit is over a year old..........................
    I thought the warranty was 5 years?
    Where did I put that?

James, the forward reverse switch on my 46-460 is a slide switch rather than the rocker switch you linked. You have a good idea Jeff looks at his switch and looks to a place like digikey he could probably find the same switch for a few bucks.