Thread: Corel problem with png file

Corel problem with png file

Im trying to engrave a QR code that I created. Its a .PNG file. Everytime I import it into corel it just shows up as a black box instead of the QR code. What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks!
    Epilog Helix 60 watt
    Corel Draw x5
    Rotary Attachment
    Windows 7

Hey Jimmy,
    I've never played around with QR codes but here's what I found:
    http://beqrious.com/qr-code-generator/
    Someone mentioned to try the above link and to download the code in PDF format. When you import to Corel Draw you should have a vector format when you are done. The generator is free to try.
    PNG's do strange things in corel draw. I tried importing a PNG QR code just to see what happens and got a black box as well.

Let us know if this works!
    Ron
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Epilog Zing 16 (35 Watt)
    Vanguard 3000 (old rotary workhorse)
    Corel Draw 12 & X5
    Sublimation Ricoh GX7000
    Chapellaz's Trophies

I haven't had anything to do with QR codes either but as far as image formats go PNG's are bitmaps with a transparent background they are mainly used as website images that need a tranparent background and will give a sharper - better result than a gif image. As you've found Corel doesn't like PNG's that much so the black you are seeing is the background because most PNG's are Indexed Colour and Corel will interpret the background as black. I'd suggest opening the image in Photoshop (or corels photopaint) and converting the image to Grey Scale then flattening and save as a Jpg or tif without any compression. A Tif image BTW is better for tracing.

Then import the new image into Corel and trace it to turn it to a Vector image. Then you'l be able to scale it to what you want and laser it.

Hope this helps.
    I'm Back.... & Currently Using a 500 x 300 50w C02 Shenhui Laser
    with Corel Draw X5, RdWorks Ver8, Adobe Master Collection CS5, Ratsus Plugin for PhotoShop instead of Photograv.

I Have now been able to get the code into Corel but when I engrave it on the aluminum tag it is not readable...print it on paper and it works fine. Im using dark colored anodised aluminum dog tags and I am inverting the image before engraving it.
    still no luck...
    Epilog Helix 60 watt
    Corel Draw x5
    Rotary Attachment
    Windows 7

Did you vectorize it with the auto trace function first? If so, you probably have a white background layer you can't see which would give you some problems if you are using the invert command to invert the whole image at once. In Corel go to windows menu/dockers/object manager. Open the layers and look at all the pieces that make up the image. While holding down the ctrl key select all the pieces of the QR code you want invert or change the color of then do the same for the background white layer. Hope this helps...a hint on auto trace...when you have setting menu open during auto trace in Corel 5, it allows you to select how many colors you want it to use in making the trace. Since you are doing a QR code, you probably want to set the number to 2 for straight B/W to make things easier on yourself. Make sure you leave the 'delete background' box unchecked. Since you are doing a reversed engrave, you want your white background layer intact. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy L Taylor View Post
    I Have now been able to get the code into Corel but when I engrave it on the aluminum tag it is not readable...print it on paper and it works fine. Im using dark colored anodised aluminum dog tags and I am inverting the image before engraving it.
    still no luck...
    Was the print on the paper also inverted?

Try engraving it o piece of Alumamark or stainless steel with Cermark. QR code readers are sensitive on image contrast.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

I didn't invert it on the paper, there's no need. Since the aluminum engraves a white color I had to invert it for that. It engraves the background white leaving the dots the darker color.
    Epilog Helix 60 watt
    Corel Draw x5
    Rotary Attachment
    Windows 7

Did you use the png filter when you brought the image into Corel?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7