Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OK, I'm buying a lathe. Now what?

Blog Entries
    I have both a 6" and 8" bench grinder, but I suspect the 6" is too small and the 8" too fast for sharpening turning tools. I guess I fellow can't have too many grinders, so I'll see if I can get a slow speed one during the WoodCraft sale.

I'm pretty confident I'll get the hang of sharpening these tools pretty quickly. I've been sharpening a variety of other ways of turning perfectly good lumber into raw material for particle board for years. I know this isn't like handplanes or chisels, but at least I understand sharp edges and burrs.

Blog Entries
    Thanks David.

I see Sorby has "midi" tools. Any good, or should I just stick to normal ones for the Delta midi lathe?

WoodCraft also sell powdered tools made by Crown. How would you compare them too the Sorby tools?

Blog Entries
    Curt

Thanks. I'm well aware of the black hole side effect and can see that the basic lathe is just the top of the iceberg. By the time it gets an extension so I can turn a leg, and legs of its own, only a few more basic accessories will hit double the lathe's base price. And that leaves out the tools.

Well, my motto has always been "every good project requires a new tool". After 45+ years, I have lots of them. Yet there's always another.

Mike

Blog Entries
    Dave,

While I have no qualms about buying some things from HF, things that require sharp edges aren't among them. In the long run I've always found it cheaper to buy quality hand tools and keep them forever than to deal with cheap tools that take way too long to make usable and then quickly lose their edge.

Blog Entries
    I do intend to buy a full-face shield. I've been using a paper mask respirator, safety glasses and hearing protection when using other power tools in the shop, but I see the need for the shield with a lathe.

I'll look into the carbide tools. I probably already have all the diamond hones I need to maintain them.

Blog Entries
    I was thinking of just taking a beginner's course at the local WoodCraft.

I've used both metal and wood lathes in the past, but I think the last time I used a wood lathe was probably in high school. Back then when the tool lost it's edge you could just knap a new one on the flint.

Blog Entries
    I'm addicted to hand planes - my life savings are already long gone.

Mike,
    You may want to consider the HF turning tools. They actually are considered to be pretty good. I bought mine to learn sharpening on and have gotten good use over a few years.

BTW, where in NoVA are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hampshire View Post
    Mike,
    You may want to consider the HF turning tools. They actually are considered to be pretty good. I bought mine to learn sharpening on and have gotten good use over a few years.

BTW, where in NoVA are you?
    I agree..I started out with these and they have performed well and helped me learn a ton. I will say they do not have a bowl gouge in the set so you will need to purchase one of these separate.