Thread: Joe Moxon comes for a visit...and leaves a vise!

Joe Moxon comes for a visit...and leaves a vise!

A while back I was looking for suggestions for a way to clamp boards in the absence of a bench--several suggested a moxon vise, and it turned out to be just the ticket for working on the end of my table saw in a crowded garage 'shop'.

I wound up using the kit from Benchcrated--a quality kit. It was a good solution for me, at a reasonable price. Here's a few pics along the way--apologies in advance--this isn't a completely neander build, but I don't have enough 'tail-free' tools yet. I started with about 9 feet of 8/4 maple, which I planed down to the suggested 7/4. I'll be making a little table to fit behind it that will be even with the top of the back chop with what I didn't use for the vise.

What's in the box: everything you need except for glue, including little 'Benchcrafted' buttons for the handles and a nice piece of suede. Just add wood!

01_WhatsInTheBox.jpg

After planing the wood, lay out the lines for the holes. There's a nice set of directions with a little history of the vise included for download on the Benchcrafted site. After marking the centerlines on both chops, I laid out the holes--the front chop has elongated holes so the vise can rack a little to grip odd shaped items.
    02_Laying out the holes.jpg03_AllLaidOut.jpg

I decided I wanted hexagonal holes instead square ones (although in hindsight, round holes would have been just fine!), so laid out the hexagons with a compass, and drilled the center hole.

05_CheckingTheSize.jpg06_LayoutTheSides.jpg07_ConnectTheDots.jpg08_CheckingTheFit.jpg09_DrillThe hole.jpg

Continued in next post...
    "Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves"-Albert Einstein

Joe Moxon...continued

Then I started the holes with chisels--it would be difficult to chisel this small area as deep as the hole needs to be (just shy of an inch), so I went down enough for a bearing to ride the rim and used a router. Cleaned up the corners with a chisel. Everything fits..
    10_ChiselSidesForRouter.jpg11_BackChopEverythingFits.jpg

The holes in the front chop are elongated--drill the center, then a little to each side, then square up the top and bottom.

12DrillTheFrontChop.jpg

At this point, the sharp edges were eased, the clamping block was cut and everything came inside for glue-up and a couple of coats of wipe-on poly. Then the suede was glued on the front chop and trimmed out. The acme rod was installed, and then back out to the garage where it got a test clamp on the saw--ready for work! The handwheels are sweet--a little push and the spin easlily in and out. The suede adds a lot of gripping power. I'm looking forward to making a few hand-cut dovetails!

13_SuedeGlued.jpg14_SuweetAction.jpg
    "Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves"-Albert Einstein

Nice, Dale. Makes me want to build one!

Mike

Jameel has designed amazing products with Benchcrafted. Everything he does is first-class. His blog has become a must read for me.

I'm building a bench from his plans and his attention to detail is just amazing.

Glad to hear that his Moxon vise lives up to his reputation. Thanks for sharing.

Eric-

I'm jealous! I'd love to build a bench, but a few more kids and their trappings (bikes, balls, bats...) have to leave first, so there is room and time for one!

Dale,
    I have built 2 sheds and planning a 3rd to keep all that stuff out of my shop (former garage). Dedicated shop space is heaven on earth.