Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DC on timer when leave shop?

DC on timer when leave shop?

I have a mostly hand-tool shop in my 20x20x10 garage, but I have a BS and planer also. So I have a 1 1/2hp Delta DC w/ wynn 35a filter for those machines, and general clean up.

My concern is that my hand tool work is creating invisible dust according to Bill Pentz, and I have no DC at the source for it. I can just wear a good respirator when doing hand tool work, but my 1.5yr son plays in the garage sometimes (not when I'm working in there) and I worry about his lungs.

So I was going to buy this ShopFox W1746 200cfm air cleaner to leave on when I leave the shop for the night, so that the air is all clean for my son the next day when he wakes up. The problem is that I don't think this thing can actually circulate the air, so it will just keep filtering the same air a few feet around it.

So I started looking at the air exchangers you hang from the ceiling, but then I got curious.

Why couldn't I just leave my 1 1/2hp Delta DC running when I leave the shop on a timer switch? It moves around 800cfm. Why won't this work?
    Last edited by bryan vick; 02-22-2012 at 2:32 PM.

That will work provided the filters are capable. If you are concerned you should get a Dylos monitor and know what you really have for air quality. Otherwise you might feel better but are really just guessing. Dave

I have a ceiling mounted JDS air cleaner. I can promise you the air is not making a circle around that thing with mine. Occasionally, I have to spray with the doors closed, and, after spraying black lacquer, those filters are BLACK BLACK BLACK. If air was going in a circle, the black would have filtered out on the first round trip, and the filters wouldn't be that black at all.

My JDS does work, and it's been reliable. I've had it for probably going on 14-15 years. I leave it on overnight whenever the mood suits me.

I would imagine that if your son is sitting in your shop while you are doing hand work, he's probably getting the same amount of dust as he would inside the house, especially if sitting on carpet. (Call for a Rainbow Vacuum demo at your house - the dust you can't see will blow you away.)

I do exactly that with my cyclone, and it woks great...............Regards, Rod.

When you say "hand tool work" are you referring to planing and using chisels or do you mean hand power tools like sanders?

I can't imagine the first creates the type of dust that is harmful.

The only disadvantage to leaving your DC on is energy - probably draws 5 times the power of an air scrubber. I have the JDS 750 (been replaced now) and love it.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Maddox View Post
    When you say "hand tool work" are you referring to planing and using chisels or do you mean hand power tools like sanders?

I can't imagine the first creates the type of dust that is harmful.

The only disadvantage to leaving your DC on is energy - probably draws 5 times the power of an air scrubber. I have the JDS 750 (been replaced now) and love it.

good luck
    You're correct about the energy costs however it would take about 3,000 hours of cyclone use for me to break even on a $300 air cleaner, so at 30 minutes per use it would be 6,000 days in the shop............The cyclone just looks better and better.........Rod.

"You're correct about the energy costs however it would take about 3,000 hours of cyclone use for me to break even on a $300 air cleaner, so at 30 minutes per use it would be 6,000 days in the shop............The cyclone just looks better and better"

But I built my own air cleaner for less than $20!

@Alan, what's the nicely painted wood "L" bracket for, on your very clean ceiling, from which hangs a very clean filtration unit, near your very clean walls? Is yours an attic shop? Would love to see more pictures - looks very clean!

By hand tools, I mean planers/chisels and the like. I recently sold most of my power tools and am going the Neanderthal route.

One of the things excited me about the hand tool route was that I thought I could work with no dust mask on. But I read Bill Pentz's website just to be sure, and according to him hand tools create dangerous dust also.

I would probably throw caution to the wind if it were just me, or work with the garage door open and a fan on, but I want my boy to see Dad make things. So I need to be super careful about his little lungs.

An air scrubber may draw less energy, but it would also have to be left on longer to cycle the same amount of air. It would be interesting to see whether a DC or an air scrubber is more *efficient*: how much previously unfiltered CFM/watt. Another thing that I like about the scrubbers is that they are quieter; this will be running mainly around 9-10pm.

I found a "timed outlet" for $7 at the borg that I can plug into any outlet, then plug my DC into that. I'm going to give that a shot, and then get a Dylos air monitor so I can know for sure when my boy can/cannot be in the garage with me. I'll have to do some research to find out what is a reasonable air quality level for the little guy, and then check the Dylos before he comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Damm View Post
    "You're correct about the energy costs however it would take about 3,000 hours of cyclone use for me to break even on a $300 air cleaner, so at 30 minutes per use it would be 6,000 days in the shop............The cyclone just looks better and better"

But I built my own air cleaner for less than $20!

That's good, however the OP indicated that he was going to purchase an air cleaner, hence my comment.

Regards, Rod.

If you are going to hand sand, think about a downdraft table. Since you already have dust collection. If you use a power sander of any type, hook it up to a vacuum.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

there is no way that a plane or a chisel creates harmful dust. none. planes and chisels create chips not dust, certainly not the type of fine dust that you seem to be worried about.

That's what I am hoping too. Once I get the Dylos air quality sensor, I'll be able to know for sure. I'll take a baseline, and then see what happens once I start planing some wood.

Has anyone out there with a Dylos done this experiment? Anybody willing to do a quick experiment with their monitor so we can get some data?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post
    Pretty good idea. I'll have to borrow that when I set my air cleaner up.