Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some New Work

Some New Work

Haven't posted anything in awhile, so I thought it was time to share a bit. Platters are about 10.5", walnut bowl is 3.5x6.5 and the lidded bowl is 2.5x7. C&C are always welcomed.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Altberg

John, that is some very nice work! Is the second platter ash? The walnut bowl is very attractive, as is the lidded bowl (ash lid?), though the knob could have been a bit smaller. However, given the overall size, I suspect the top of the knob is just under an inch so making it smaller may make it hard to grasp.

I like the platters, too, and since I love curly maple the first is my pic.

What finishes did you use?

What John said, 'cept I really like the second walnut bowl pic.

all are very nice, i like the 5th one, is the rim grain burned or dyed?

I'd like to hear more about the finishes on the platters as well. I like the rim treatments on both of them. I think the last platter would have been a little plain without it, but with it I think it grabs your attention.
    Where did I put that?

They're nice! Love the last one - how did you enhance the grain in that one? And I love the lidded bowl, what's the wood for bowl itself?

Really nice. I like the lidded bowl although the last one is a beauty.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

John,
    Thanks for giving us some really nice work to look at. I'd be happy to have any of them.

Some nice work. The lidded bowl stands out for me.

Thanks, all, for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    John, that is some very nice work! Is the second platter ash?
    The second platter is ash. Both platters and the lidded bowl were finished with de-waxed shellac and several rubbings of Watco Danish Oil. Everything, except for the lid, was then buffed with white diamond, tripoli and RenWax.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    all are very nice, i like the 5th one, is the rim grain burned or dyed?
    The rim was done with rattle can black lacquer, then stripped with mineral spirits. The open grain of the ash really held the color.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Vaughan View Post
    They're nice! And I love the lidded bowl, what's the wood for bowl itself?
    The bowl itself is elm, dyed purple and the lid is ash. The knob is made from palm.
    John Altberg

Nice pieces, all of them. I like the ash rim treatment...I almost suspected a little fire in the process, but your approach seems less likely to get out of control! Kinda like reverse liming.
    The walnut bowls are very nicely shaped, and the lidded vessel is nice, but I also would like to have seen something a little smaller, perhaps just shorter if can't be smaller diameter. Beautiful pieces in all. The dyed edge platter reminds me of one that Jimmy Clewes had us make during a workshop...but I really trashed mine. Will have to try again and see how it goes.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinehart View Post
    The dyed edge platter reminds me of one that Jimmy Clewes had us make during a workshop...but I really trashed mine. Will have to try again and see how it goes.
    Good eye, Tim! I took Jimmy's workshop in Las Vegas in December. The platter shape was learned there (I muffed the finish on the one I did in class!) and the coloring has been trial and error at home, since. The lidded bowl was also done in his shop. He also taught us the technique of shellac before the oil. Seems counterintuitive, but it yields nice results.

John
    John Altberg

All of these are really nice though I especially like the rim treatment on the last one. The lidded bowl caught my eye as well. Fine as it is though agree that it might be fun to experiment with some different knobs.

I like them all John! I had some questions about each but you answered them all. Thanks for posting them!

Doesn't the shellac keep the watco from penetrating the wood? Seems like it would turn into a surface film rather than an in the wood finish?