Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purple TruStone Pen and Tutorial

Purple TruStone Pen and Tutorial

I've made several TruStone pens before, but this was the first time working with this purple version.

It's pretty brittle, so it was slow going, with very light cuts with sharp carbide tools.

It was a commission from my bride's co-worker, so it's nice to have it completed.

I documented photos of the step-by-step making of this pen, hopefully I'll find some time to put the photos into a short video so those who might like to try this can see how it's done.

Also, this is the first time I've tried using a rather unusual photographic setup/background suitable for small items... more to come on that later.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

The pen actually has more slightly more red and less blue than in the photo... it's a very subtle purple on purple, fairly low contrast blank.
    I may tweak the colors a bit more, but I think folk will get the idea.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

Very classy look. I look forward to the tutorial, wasn't aware of special precautions and techniques to avoid issues...but seems reasonable given how brittle and hard it must be.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Another wonderful pen Alan.

The photo setup is way cool as well, I am guessing some colored/tinted glass with an under light. Works well, like the reflections. This technique highlights the pen quite nicely.

That's a very nice pen, good job.

I'd like to know more about the photo set-up.

Can you share how you did that?

Thanks - Tom

Here's the setup.

I am using software on my iPad called Photo Soft Box Pro HD. It's generally used to configure an iPad as a photographic light source (by displaying various images or patterns, e.g., a divided window)

I decided to use it as a background, and display a bright spot under the pen. The software lets you change all the parameters of the underlying image... size, position, rotation, color, brightness, etc.

One cool thing is that there is a companion app for the iPhone (Photo Soft Box Pro Remote)... and via bluetooth, the iPhone controls the iPad app, so I could change color, intensity, etc without touching the iPad screen.

Cool, eh?

The iPad was placed in a photo tent. There was one fluorescent light shining through the left side of the tent. A white reflector on the right, next to the iPad. A black board was angled above the iPad so the screen reflected the black card.

The reason the color of the pen is not quite right in my first attempt was that I was experimenting with the color temperature of the spot displayed on the iPad. I needed to make it cooler so I could up the red in the pen without the spot going red.

So, this setup is really only suitable to small items, but it suits my style (I like using reflective backgrounds anyway).

What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alan Zenreich; 02-20-2012 at 3:13 PM.

Excellent looking pen Alan. Looking foward to a tutorial.

Great looking pen and a terrific setup, Alan...ya learn something new every day.

Photos are bomb!!! And I hate turning Tru stone Alan!!! Ya done sweet!! Did you put his in the IAP 8th Anniversary whole thingamabob? Should be in the casting comp...move on it and well done!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Alan, as you know, I am not a penturner, but the pics are awesome!!!! Nice work on the pen, too.

Jim,

I'm not into competitions. I might put the photos in the IAP SOYP sections.

I should have the tutorial shortly, the video is rendering now....

John,

There was a time when you weren't a turner either.

Maybe you should make a pen "on a steeeek" < vbg >

And here's my first pass at a video tutorial for this project

I did not add any sound, figuring that it was going to be started and stopped a lot if people want to inspect any steps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igf1HG0x1-Y

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Alan Zenreich; 02-21-2012 at 8:00 AM. Reason: I replaced the original video with one that added some information and fixed a few typos

Alan with all that went into making that pen, its no wonder that it looks so good. An excellent tutorial BTW. There were some things in it that I may have to try my self.

"The best things in life are not things."

Classy and elegant Alan.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.