Thread: River Birch Bowl

River Birch Bowl

Not sure why I like this style of bowl, I just do. I've never turned river birch before, but when wet, it turns beautifully. Dry, I was having horrible tear out even when shear scraping. This is a crotch piece Scott Smith gave me. I'm finding that river birch, when cut is nice and white, but as it dries turns a little brown. This is starting to warp a bit, so will be interesting to see where it goes. Sanded to 320 dry, then wet sanded with Doctors Walnut oil finish. Comments and criticism appreciated.
    River Birch 02.jpgRiver Birch 01.jpgRiver Birch Bottom.jpg
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Not a style I've seen before but I like it. Nice job!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Looks good.. Yep it def. likes to move and unfortunately crack so keep a close eye. I have a ton of river birch on the farm but have since learned there are a few variations that people call river birch. Most in my neck of the woods (VA) are paper or red river. Both have a reddish to golden brown hue.

I think I like the bottom most of all! Interesting shape and you held the curve very well on the bottom. Gonna have to find so of that stuff... awful pretty!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Michael,

I think this is probably paper, if the bark was any sort of clue.

Jim,

We'll see how well the curve holds after it's movement
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Nice bowl, Nate. Great creativity

Nate, what great looking figure in that birch. Looks a lot like a Norwegian Beer Bowl.

Nate - I think the form you've chosen here will really accentuate the movement you are going to see. You should post pics when it finally settles in!!

Good job, Mike

Nice wood and shape. I've encountered the shape a couple times in my archaeological career: central western Iran ca 2600 BC and Phrygian Turkey ca 800 BC.

Really nice bowl Nate. Interesting design.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.