Thread: Boeshield T-9 Fails!

Wink Boeshield T-9 Fails!

After only 10 months and a couple of weeks, Boeshield T-9 gave up the ghost and let rust accumulate on my cabinet saw top!

No, I am not really upset. I intentionally left it alone to see just how long it would protect. Given the hot, humid Florida environment in my garage shop, I think it is nothing short of amazing that it lasted this long. I normally renew it every six months but this time I wanted to see just how long it would go. Now I know and will go back to my routine six month reapplications.

Rust Free quickly took care of the surface rust with just a little scrubbing with a scotchbrite pad. My standard procedure is to then wash the surface with mineral spirits to make sure no wax is left, apply T-9 and wipe it off and then let it dry. Once dry, I spray some Topcote that I still have over it and let it dry. Finally, a coat of paste wax followed by a good buffing completes the task.

This approach has worked very well for me. I use it for all my cast iron tables (CS, BS, SCMS and DP.) The T-9 is just a bit sticky but the wax quickly cures that problem. I do apply wax occasionally in between T-9 treatments but only when I want a little slicker top. By itself, wax seems to offer little protection in my situation.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

When I'm frequently using my stationary machines I don't use T-9 as I don't like the sticky residue, but for overwinter storage it works well if I do the following.

Clean the iron thoroughly
    Apply a very liberal coat of T-9 and leave it alone to dry (thick coat)
    Cover the iron with a machinery cover

The last step keeps condensation from pooling on my machines when I decide to heat the garage in the winter.

When I moved I had to store all my equipment in a storage unit for 2 months due to closing dates and my desire to get the inside of the shop finished out before filling it up. I sprayed all my cast iron with Boeshield. When I pulled everything out, it looked rusty in spots, but the redish brown cleaned off with the Boeshield when wiped down with laquer thinner. The surfaces did look dull, but cleaned up shiny new with a green Scotchbrite pad on my ROS.

Have you thought about running a dehumidifier? I use one when the humidity rises, especially in the spring/fall when its rainy and the temperature swing between night and day causes condensation. It really reduced my problems with rust on the cast iron surfaces. To eliminate the need to empty it, I ran a hose outside.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 03-20-2005 at 7:39 PM.

Matt,

My shop is in my garage so, unfortunately, a dehumidifier is not a solution in this case. The garage door is open much of the time and given our humidity it would be like trying to dry up the Gulf of Mexico.

I've never found anything better for my situation than Boeshield. One application is good for at least six months.
    Last edited by Kent Cori; 03-20-2005 at 9:15 PM.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

I wasn't intending to test it but I put T-9 on my bandsaw and planer. Just a few months later they started to rust. Yes, it's humid sometimes in Connecticut. Yes, the shop is 10 feet from a creek and, yes, the shop is unheated but still I was disappointed.

One morning I went out to the shop early and found the planer and bandsaw were soaking wet! Condensation. Not only did the T-9 hold up to that for several months, when I cleaned them up I found the rust to be really light and it cleaned right up.

After that I followed some advice I saw here and used T-9 and wax. I also bought covers! With a bi-weekly waxing I seem to be winning the war with rust. (Famous last words, I'm sure). Recently I've been using TopCote because I ran out of T-9. It seems to work well too.

This was posted elsewhere, but there are my results during a temp swing where the temp went above the dew point for most of the day (really foggy all day)

Here are some qualitative observations on tool rusting during the humid temperature swing (Jan 13th 2005).

Environment: uninsulated, unheated 2 car garage

Temperature during observation: 65 H, 30L

Humidity: 90%+, during 65 highs was right at the dew point

Table saw

Treatment: 2 coats of Boesheild T9, one applied 2 weeks ago. All known coats applied during the cold

Result: Light rust on the surface, the rust came off easily with a scotchbrite pad and WD-40, no major change to the surface after removal and no pitting. No rust occured where the rip fence was sitting.

Bandsaw

Treatment: 6 coats coats of Boesheild T9 original and monthly re-applications. Originally removed cosmoline with WD-40 and then treated overnight with motor oil and then started coating with Boesheild T9

Result: One small spot of rust, overall it was rust free

Jointer

Treatment: Multiple coats of Johnson's Past wax (original owner) and coated with Boesheild T9 afterward monthly at the same time as the Bandsaw. The orignal owner stated that he originally waxed it 20+ times and then coated it montly with a heavy coat of wax and then buffed it smooth.

Result: Little spots of rust, nothing major

Notes

Interestingly the rust on the table saw seemed to come from underneath the Boesheild coats and the rust felt like it was encapsulated in the waxy film of the Boesheild. This was also the case for the rust spots on the jointer and was more apparent, because the previous owner was a wax nut.

Conclusions

It seems that rust preventatives must be built up over time (applied during warm months to be effective). It is unclear if the motor oiling of the casting made a difference, but it did not rust to the extent of the heavily rust-preventative coated jointer. Boesheild doesn't seem to be terribly effective if applied to cold iron (i.e. in the winter). This result is consistent with empirical observations that Boesheild T9 does not fully cure during the winter. The bandsaw made it through last season without rust even though it was treated during the winter, but was additionally coated this past summer an immediately prior to the fall colors. Finally, it seems during major swings that there is not a perfect surface protectant. Observation of no rust on the table saw underneath the rip fence suggests that machine covers may be an effective way to prevent rust as long as the cover is breathable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Cori
    Matt,

My shop is in my garage so, unfortunately, a dehumidifier is not a solution in this case. The garage door is open much of the time and given our humidity it would be like trying to dry up the Gulf of Mexico.

I've never found anything better for my situation than Boeshield. One application is good for at least six months.
    I have found Johnson Paste Wax is up to the task of dealing with Florida Humidity here in Tampa. However I have used my last wax and I can't locate a place to buy it anywhere. I have check Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes and local grocery stores.

I have used Johnson Paste was on my cast iron and steel surfaces and in 25 years I have not had any rust. Some times my machines go a year or longer between waxes.
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Cori
    I normally renew it every six months but this time I wanted to see just how long it would go. Now I know and will go back to my routine six month reapplications.
    Thanks for the tip, Kent. Guess I'd better give my stuff a new coat before the rainy season sets in.

Thumbs up Have You Tried This?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blough
    I have found Johnson Paste Wax is up to the task of dealing with Florida Humidity here in Tampa. However I have used my last wax and I can't locate a place to buy it anywhere. I have check Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes and local grocery stores.
    Home Depot sell MinWax furniture polish that works just as well as Johnsons'.