Thread: "Practical" CNC?

"Practical" CNC?

I came across a used CNC in my area. I don't have much information on it yet. But I was told that it is a Practical CNC, it has a 4x4 table, 3hp. Bosch Router, and comes with has wincnc, along with vetric's canned art, bobcadcam 22, corel draw software.

The only information that I was able to find was from a website call Precision Automated Equipment (i didn't want to link it because I don't think I'm supposed to)... They have a couple models, but I assume based on the asking price for the re-sale that it would be the 110SD series.

Anyone have any info on these are can provide any expert opinions?

I would like to have a CNC for doing inlays, carving's, signs, 3D detailing on flat work, and to cut MDF templates.

Thanks,
    Derek
    Last edited by Derek Voigt; 02-17-2012 at 9:21 PM.
    Not allowed

You may want to check if the softwares has transferable licenses. Bobcad does, but there is a $100 transfer fee. WinCNC is what controls the machine, so you may want to find out about it. The answers may affect the value.

I am thinking the software will come on the pc with the machine.

Their site looks like some nice machines. We will have to know more about the exact machine but their site shows extruded 8020 style frames and aluminum carriages. Not sure if they are R&P or screw driven but I doubt you will go wrong if teh price is right. Can you get them to demo that it works??
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

He may get a PC with everything loaded, but that doesn't mean that the licenses are transferable. Just something to be aware of. I think WinCNC for a new user (license) runs close to $1,000.

i would call kelly at wincnc, i have purchased wincnc machines used and had no problem, a used practical may be practical the machines were bolt together 8020 aluminum and the larger ones were prone to racking, practical was bankrupted then became precision, not sure they are in business either, there are places were these machines were discussed, if you get it at a good low price you could have some fun with it, wincnc is a seat and as stable as it is upgrades are rare. buy vcarvepro and off you go !

Blog Entries
    Isn't BobCAD the program that everyone incessantly complains about bugs and such?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Dan
    21 was great 22 was a real piece of crap and 23 fixed what they left out of 22
    ken
    Epilog Laser, CNC equipment, Corel X3 & 4, Aspire

I still havn't gotten much additional info for this guy. He did try to send me what looks like a cell phone video of it but didn't open on my phone or computer. I emailed him some more questions but he isn't getting back to me. So this one might be over before it starts.
    Not allowed

I have a practical CNC. With 5x10' table. Always had stepping problems, the motors were too small and the system was not rigid enough. I haven't used it since I bought a Shopbot Alpha. My plan is to convert it to a plasma cutter. I think it has enough power to move the torch around.

I would take files and do a demo drive before spending money on any CNC equipment, especially used.

ernie
    Rabbit 1290 80W RECI
    Shopbot PRS Alpha
    Aspire, Corel, Signlab, and many more
    Gerber Edge and 2 vinyl cutters
    plus a shop full of woodworking and metalworking machines