Thread: tool handles

tool handles

am making some aluminum tool handles.
    1" solid round bar that i want to slip vinyl tubing over.
    Would love to hear what methods others have used to accomplish slipping the tubing over the handle.
    soaps, sprays, lubes, heat?????
    I'm all ears and thanks

I'm waiting for a shipment of aluminum tube for my tool handle project, so these are comments I found by others.

Heat braided tubing in microwave until hot but not melted (not at all sure about that one).
    Soak braided in very,very hot water.
    Spray lots of WD-40 on tube and inside braid tube.

I'm thinking I'mg going to try #2 and #3 together.

Good luck, let me know what works for you.

I made some of these handles last year and didn't have much of a problem slipping the tube over. The one thing I did was to make sure the vinyl wasn't creased and it slid right on.
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

You might ask Trent Bosch at the next wood turners meeting!

I used to use soapy water to install new bicycle grips on the handlebars. It would be wet for a couple of hours, but then it would dry out and stay in place.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

I've made a few handles the way you are planning to do. I boiled the hose and put the bar in the freezer. I also split the hose about halfway up its length which made it really easy to get it on. I used 5-min epoxy to close up the seam while clamping and wrapping the edges together with tape/cling wrap/clamps. Sounds more difficult than it really is.
    Nova DVR XP, so-so Sears bandsaw, no-name grinder, a load of Thompson tools, growing pile of "design opportunities"

HI Allen, I have attached links to two different youtube videos that demonstrate 2 different methods of changing grips on golf clubs. I have used the compressed air method with good results, but you will need to find a way to get a tight seal on the trailing end of the vinyl tubing so you the tip of the blow gun on your compressor can inject the air inside the vinyl tube, forcing the tube to expand.
    I typically use regular 2 sided tape found at any box store & use paint thinner as a lubricant. Ive never had a grip come loose yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukvAAc6AUn0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZNLeXTFXac

Good Luck!!

Golf club grip tape and solvent. Do ya have a golf shop near ya? I've regripped a bunch of clubs, and the process is really simple. Wrap the handle with the tape, pour some of the solvent into the grip, tip the grip end to end to "slosh" it around the inside of the grip, pour out the extra solvent, and slip the grip over the tape. Ready to go next day.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Maybe you could just use PlastiDip. It is made for tool handles...
    I drink, therefore I am.

I used a pot of hot water to soak the vinyl tubing. That's all I needed to slide the tubing over my 1" handles.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

Another thing you could use is heat shrink. 1 x 1/8" would slide over easily and then using a hairdryer you can shrink it down. The fit would be nice and tight.

I've been told you can use a plastic carrier bag to replace golf clubs... first slip the bag onto the end, fold it backover so the open end is near the handle end (not the club end), push the bag through the grip, and ease it onto the handle. You should be able to push / pull the grip all the way down, and trim off the ends - there's a link somewhere on youtube so I've been told... Not sure if this is o.k. to for a turning tool - lack of friction between the two layers of plastic bag?

Allen,

Can't help you with the vinyl tubing, but I would recommend at least trying some heater/radiator hose instead of the vinyl tubing. Find the right size, and literally beat it on with a hammer and facing block. I have quite a few done like this and it's easy. Most are on 3/4" GSP and BI.

Just my $.02.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

well i got em on. boiled em used foaming hand soap
    wouldn't want to do a lot of em this way but i accomplished what i set out to do.
    I have less that 5 bucks in each handle
    60/61 solid round bar aluminum 24' cost me 65 bucks. 50' of vinyl tubing at a buck a foot
    18" & 24" handles
    beats paying 50 + bucks a piece and up for them

What, no pics, Allen?
    I drink, therefore I am.