Thread: Rockwell/Delta lathe

Rockwell/Delta lathe

I just acquired a Rockwell/Delta 12" heavy duty variable speed lathe. The parts list that came with it is labeled 46-450,46-451. I'm looking for a new spindle pulley. It is made to be used as an indexing wheel and a lot of the dividers are broken. any suggestions? I have registered at OWWM and waiting for my acceptance.
    Thanks
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Post a wanted ad on OWWM when you get accepted and keep an eye on Ebay. I recently picked up a 46-499 which appears to be similar to yours. It's been a great lathe so far. Enjoy!

Good luck. That is typical of all Delta 450s that were used in high schools all over. The kids striped out the aluminum indexing indents. They haven't made them in years. If you could find one, it may be worth more than the whole lathe LOL. Best bet is to use a third party indexing unit and as long as the pulley is straight and runs true live with the short coming.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Bob is right on. An aftermarket indexing unit it the ticket. The indexing setup on the old Rockwell/Delta machines was kinda funky even when not worn out. It's pretty much the weakest link in what is, otherwise, a very well made machine.
    David DeCristoforo

Thanks for the advice. If I get to needing an indexing head I guess then I will look at what is available. Essentially I'm new to turning,turned some 30+ years ago when I had a shopsmith. I've been wanting to get into it again and this lathe showed up at an estate sale so I jumped. It runs fine and has two tool rests and a jacobs chuck for the tail stock.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

The 450 is a tank. I turned a lot of bowls on one and found the reeves drive bullet proof. I did go through some head stock bearing more from doing outboard turning on it. Enjoy, it is one of the good old irons.
    Member Illiana Woodturners