Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hand tool cabinet-very long, lotsa pix

Excellent Tony! Great craftsmanship, design and materials use! Thanks for posting!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Picture 1 - Very nice - looks great!
    Picture 2 - SPRONG!!! Amazing how much fits inside and looks well planned.

Greats pics - no, you can't post too many! Thanks.

Beautiful cabinate Tony! I’m going to make one of those if my collection of planes & chiseles ever gets big enough. (I saved your post just in case )
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Nice cabinet Tony.

Don't blame you bout being concerned about it coming crashing down. Lotsa weight there. Lotsa pricey tools too. Would a cuppla extra screws give you more piece of mind?

Eric
    in Calgary

Blog Entries
    I hung some kitchen cabinets not long ago. The wall was sheet rock as yours appears to be. My studs did not turn out to be in the best positions so I used a few E-Z Ancor's, available at the Depot. I started using E-Z Ancors quite a few years ago and have had very good results with them. They are like very wide screws with very wide threads, "self-drilling drywall anchors". You simply screw the big lug into the sheet rock and then run a normal screw, provided, threw the cabinet etc. into the lug. They are rated to hold up to 50 lbs each, screwed into sheet rock without a stud. A few E-Z Ancors, placed anywhere you like should make that cabinet very secure.

E-Z Ancors actually come in a lighter and even heavier version but I find the ones rated to 50 lbs. the easiest to use. I have used many boxes of these over the years and have never had one come out of a wall.

I think it looks great, and I'll bet you feel like a kid on Christmas morning everytime you open it! Add me to the list of those filing it away for future reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Sade
    (A very poor man’s, or at least a very poor woodworker’s, Becksvoort, if you will.)
    Are you serious?!? A poor woodworker?!? Surely you must be a prince among paupers!!! Just look at those new LN chisels? LV shoulder planes? LN assorted planes? dovetail saws?!? SHEESH! I give up...

...anyone want to buy a slightly used type 5 #8?!?

Kidding aside, you've done a great job of organizing a potential nightmare...but as I gaze through my crystal ball, I forsee a duplicate cabinet...hung next to this one...made with different scraps from your shop...is that walnut?!? or maple?!?
    Louis Bois
    "and so it goes..." Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Tony---A very nice blend of form and function. I like the fact that it is made from bits of this and bits of that. And you have an enviable collection of hand tools to populate it as well.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Wow-A whole new round of compliments-thanks, guys. I do find my self heading out to the shop occasionally to open the doors and gaze lovingly at my small family.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Bois
    Kidding aside, you've done a great job of organizing a potential nightmare...but as I gaze through my crystal ball, I forsee a duplicate cabinet...hung next to this one...made with different scraps from your shop...is that walnut?!? or maple?!?
    Well, Louis, I am working on the non-hand tool companion for this cabinet--small power tools, sanding stuff, adhesives, etc.-- but I've pretty much run out of decent looking scraps. This brute-it's about a foot taller and will need to be lagged into the studs at about 150 spots, is likely to be entirely from borg ply. I may be able to find some cut-offs from the cherry for a couple of drawer fronts, though.

Thanks again.
    Tony

Tony, wait a little while to build your second cabinet. One of the most unique things about the cabinet that you have built is that it has bits of a lot of other projects that you have done. If you wait a while to build the next one, it too will have the soul of many projects in it.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"