Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Man Wants New Lathe. Any Ideas?

Jerry,

In your quest for your last lathe, don't overlook the Stubby. It'll do small (pens) to large (30 inch swing) bowls and platters. It will take up a very small footprint (26 X 44), and come standard with 2 banjos and an auxillary bed which can be place in any number of positions. It also weights close to 700 pounds. The 2 horsepower (more than enough to handle anything we woodturners would ever dream of turning on it) is more power we'll ever want. Speed is adjustable from 8 rpm to 2800.

I live in Manassas, Va. and if you're ever in town, you're welcome to take her for a spin!

Not much to add to the good advice above, and it does not sound like you are particularly cost-sensitive. If you are concerned about cost, make sure you check what the lathes you are interested in really sell for rather than relying on a "list" price. You can get the 3520B for at least $500-600 less than list if you shop around during Powermatic's sales. Can't speak to whether the others you mentioned are ever discounted. Have fun shopping!

That American Beauty must be ya wife you didn't do nuttin with the last Lathe HE HE !!!!

I'm a happy Stubby owner. It has some very unique features. The sliding and pivoting bed. An Auxillary bed. 2 banjos. Built in vac port. And the biggest selling point for me was the foot print. It gives you the ability to stand in front of your hollowing which was also a huge selling point for me. Sit back and write down what all you really want. Do you have a huge shop and more than ample space. If so then foot print would be at the bottom of your priorities. Are you going to turn 48" platters routinely? Is so then add the VB36 as a serious contender. List your priorities and assign #'s to them. And finally, try to turn on all of them. I really thought I was going to buy a VB36 until I turned on one. For me, it wasn't that comfortable. The spindle height was higher than I expected and I actually like the spindle a little lower(about an 1" or so) than what is normal for my height.
    Last but not least, enjoy the process!

Like so many of the guys have said get what will fit your style of turning. I used a 18" General 160 bed lathe and a Vega 2600 bowl lathe. If it was me I would go with a Stubby no questions ask.But of course thats just my $.02
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

I was fortunate to have the American Beauty be my first lathe. Outside of the other great aspects of this lathe, the seven year warranty was a large part of my decision to get this lathe over others.

I have looked at almost every brand and model of lathes available at the two symposiums I attended. When, and I mean WHEN I upgrade ...I plan on purchasing the last lathe I will need. My short list was the Stubby and the Robust (both the Sweet 16 and the American Beauty) and the Onyx verision of the Powermatic. The PM (in BLACK) is a very nice lathe and relatively speaking a pretty decent amount of lathe for the money. The Stubby and Robust are a LOT more money. I like the small footprint of the Stubby and the Sweet 16 Robust, but for a bit more money the American Beauty wins out. It has all the features one would want or need, plus its made in the USA.

I would love to have one, but the PM is more "affordable", expecially for someone who isn't selling pieces to pay for it!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Blog Entries
    My dream lathe is the VB36 but at over 10K itprobably won't be in my future. As far as Oneway goes, I had excellent customer service with them on soe tools. But after talking to the folks at Robust, I feel they would offer absolutely excellent service as well. The sliding head stock is a must for me so that eliminates the Oneway. I really thing the Robust offers the most useful features out of all of them (Including the VB36) If I can ever sell my Quad or a really expensive segmented turning, I'd go with the American Beauty.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I went through the selection process when the Symposium was in Portland, 2008 or so, can't remember. I had a PM3520A. The Oneway was not in the running because my lathe sits in a corner, and turning out board is not an option. Sliding headstock was a must. I got the bed extension, and the 3 hp motor. It will out last me by quite a few years. I did get the speed perameters changed on my lathe as well. It has 3 speed ranges, and the low range was too slow, and the mid range wasn't fast enough either, and I didn't want to change belts more than necessary. Speeds go down to 20 or less rpm on the slow range which I use for sanding, and up to about 2200 on the mid range for bowls. Perfect. I would expect that Oneway could do that for you as well. Also, Robust is the only lathe that I know of that has adjustable legs for height changes in 2 inch increments. I had the old PM up on a couple of 2 X 4s. I never waxed or cleaned the cast iron ways off on my PM, though I did take a paint scraper to it on occasion to get super glue off. I am kind of hard on my tools.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Also, Robust is the only lathe that I know of that has adjustable legs for height changes in 2 inch increments.

robo hippy
    The Oneway now has adjustable height legs. It is a 6 bolt pattern and height is adjustable in 1" increments.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Glad to hear that Oneway does that now. All floor standing lathes should be able to do that. Another thing that both the Oneway and Robust do is the headstock shaft is removable by unbolting it. Great if you have to change the belt and/or bearings.

robo hippy

Although I did not mention it in my previous post, the adjustable legs on the America Beauty were also a big consideration to me. The legs on the American Beauty now adjust to any height and are not limited to inch increments. They also splay out the higher the lathe goes up. This means that it is always on a really stable foundation. Because of my height, 6'4", Brent increased the length of the legs on my lathe from what it normally comes with, so that I can raise the lathe up higher.

Dan

Robust!

In my opinion ROBUST is the best way to go.

Doubt it would surpass the American Beauty, but when I attended a Nick Cook demo a few weeks ago, he said Powermatic was going to be coming out with a new 4224. It will have a sliding headstock and other modifications that he was impressed with.

just curious why no one says much about the serious lathe?? if i had to buy a new one i would go with that monster
    not sure why but i sure like the looks of it and how strong and stable it is
    oh and jerry make me an offer on my 3520b so i can order a new serious