Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steel vs. Cast Iron trunnions on bandsaw

Selected the 514X2 for the heavy-duty trunion (a plus) expecting to do some resawing. Not much resawing so far, but it does very well on large log sections on end, trimmed for turning. Motor does not hesitate when cutting the big sections..... which is rather scary... The column is made of thin steel sections...not as rigid as cast iron. Seems like a good machine for homeowner/hobbyist.

Thumbs up Laguna SUV

I picked up a LT14SUV form Craigslist yesterday--pretty much new out of the box for 1400, included 3 blades and the mobility kit. Got the 1 inch blade on it and have made 3 resaw cuts with the saw in 8 and 1/2 inch Fir. Seemed to cut very well. I like the 3 hp motor a lot--I am replacing a Jet 18 inch bandsaw with a 1/1/2 hp motor. This Laguna I think will be more of a saw for re-sawing. It's made in China so the fit and finish are no better than the Jet--nor worse. Not sure if I will like the ceramic blade guides--the Jet has the ball bearing ones and those seemed to work great.

The CI trunnion seems to hold the table better than the Jet--less flex.
    I like the gas assist arm to help with the table tilt, but the best thing is the foot brake--so convenient.
    Last edited by rick sawyers; 02-10-2012 at 9:40 PM.

I have to say i am a little nervous about 3 phase, basically because i know next to nothing about it. The Laguna is 1325 with a make an offer, so id like to think i could do a little better, maybe 1200 or 1250? Shippinig is 99 and its a demo from shows, so i imagine it would be set up as good as it can get?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lee View Post
    I have to say i am a little nervous about 3 phase, basically because i know next to nothing about it. The Laguna is 1325 with a make an offer, so id like to think i could do a little better, maybe 1200 or 1250? Shippinig is 99 and its a demo from shows, so i imagine it would be set up as good as it can get?
    3 phase is a very quick learning curve. A VFD not only gives you 3 phase but soft start, variable speed and electric braking among other things. Spend a few hours on OWWM in the VFD FAQs and another hour reading thtough your choice of VFD manual online and you will be ready to rock.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lee View Post
    I'm not minimizing the need to learn about VFDs and wiring as there will be some wiring needed to route the brake micro switch etc. but the Griggio is much closer to $3500-4000 new and the Laguna is $1595 new. Worth a couple hundred and some time studying to me but you have to feel the same way. If in doubt you can hold out as there is always another saw. Dave

I just picked up the 513X2BF from Grizzly after selling a Jet 18" that I had for about a month. At the Springfield showroom, it was somewhat of a daunting task deciding which one to pull the plug on. I thought I had made up my mind with the 514X2, but after talking to several people, I decided to go with the 513 as the almost $400 was better spent. I decided to go with the 513X2F with the manual foot brake, but they were out of stock. The saleman said they had the 513X2BF and they were only $30 more. I told him I did not want the motor break, as I just had one that failed on a Bosch miter saw. He said the BF model is not a motor brake, rather some type of a magnetic switch that does affect the motor windings. He said the foot brake is manual as in the 513X2F model. I was determined to avoid the "budget creep" as you have to stop somewhere and the salesman was seeing that. He goes away briefly and then returns with an in-store $50 coupon for purchases over $1000. That sealed the deal, so I ended up getting it cheaper than the X2F model. Got it home and I love it. I checked to make sure the break is manual by when the saw is off, I spinned the bottom wheel and step on the pedal. I can hear the break engage and it stops the saw. When the power is turned on with the key, I can hear the magnet energize, and it stops the sawblade very quick when I use the pedal or the off switch. Night and day difference over the Jet, as everything was perfect out of the box. Also, the BF model has a different style of fence rail, it has only a front rail which is chrome, and has knobs on the bottom to adjust the squareness to the table. Went to the St. Louis woodowrking show yesterday and got some Timberwolf blades for it. I used the Ittura blades on the Jet and just was not as impressed with them as I had been with prior use of the Timberwolf.