Thread: Cherry Entertainment Center

Cherry Entertainment Center

Built this for myself. The top is two pieces. They were about 12 inch wide 5/4 slabs with a very very bad twist on both. I initially ripped them, then clamped a straight edge an routed a square face on them, then glued them up, then clamped it down to top, the twist was so forceful it racked the cabinet. The twist was about 2 inches. So I flipped it over, kerfed it about 100 times leaving 3/8 plus meat and knocked out all the wood, re-clamped it and it went down much easier.
    Finish is a lacquer sprayed on. No hardware yet but will put black steel matte finish round bars on it.
    The doors sit in grooves that are waxed and slide in front of the draws.

IMG_2749 resized.jpgIMG_1878.jpgIMG_2754 resized.jpgIMG_2755 resize.jpg

Looks great. Love the figure in that last pic.

IMG_2804.jpg Heres a pic with the hardware on it. In person this piece looks really nice. Not sure of it comes through in the pics. Cost me about $700 to build and finish , in a local store here that semi custom builds ( wood choice) it would be a $4000 piece especially with solid cherry draw boxes as well.

Craig,
    That is a really nice piece. The hardware is also very complementary. My favorite is the top. I like the look of a thicker top. Great job wrestling the top into submisssion .

I would have suspected that 10 kerfs would have done it, and that would be without the need for any chopping out between them. Was it THAT bad? 3/8" thick cherry, over that amount of span, would be pretty conforming.

Finished piece looks good! What is the finish? How did you make the drawers? Did you use slides or are they just fit?

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    I would have suspected that 10 kerfs would have done it, and that would be without the need for any chopping out between them. Was it THAT bad? 3/8" thick cherry, over that amount of span, would be pretty conforming.

Finished piece looks good! What is the finish? How did you make the drawers? Did you use slides or are they just fit?

Todd
    Hi Todd, the warp was so bad ,it sat 2 inch off carcass or more( twist) when sucking it down on one end , before the kerfs it racked the cabinet. I used a lock joint for the draws out of solid 5/8 thick cherry with Blum undermount soft close slides. The finish is lacquer 3 coats.
    I did leave some chunks in with no kerfs so I had somewhere to grab it from underneath when attaching.