Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Household uses for laser?

Household uses for laser?

I often get requests from family to cut or engrave something, but sometimes the laser comes in handy for fixing
    things around the house. This morning, for example, I went out to see why the waterfall on my pond was not running.
    Usually that means the filter needs cleaning. I pulled up the pump and found it running but the inlet nipple had broken
    off from the pump, and leaves had stopped the flow through it. What was left was a jagged large whole in the thin
    metal. My first thought was the laser. I came in and cut a donut of 1/4" acrylic, large enough to fit over the flat part
    of the pump and with a hole for the water just smaller than the outlet nipple. A little epoxy and 10 minutes later it's
    back together. I'll let the epoxy set another hour or so to help prevent any toxic fumes from killing the fish, then
    connect up the filter and turn it back on. Saved buying a new pump at about $100.

Anyone else have stories about fixing things around the house and shop with the laser?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Well, the knob for the heater fan in my car broke. It's a simple little piece of round plastic and the dealer wants $40! Scan the old one, cut some pieces from scrap acrylic, glue 'em together and ooops, forgot to make the pointer. Get our marker pen and add a pointer. Perfect replacement.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

I cut a new grating for my pond filter, it's the piece that the foam filters sit on. Made an acrylic spacer to replace a worn and broken one on my electric lawn mower's power mode selector. And I made a replacement actuator arm on a motorized gadget, which was trickier because it had a 3D shape and holes at right angles to each other, and required cutting, turning and fixturing on its side, registering and cutting second profile/holes. And made a few custom storage and display containers for wife's hobbies and jewelry.

-Glen

Made Custom messages and lasered them on Christmas sugar cookies.... Wife still has hers on display......
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

With my welding laser, I've rewelded a broken light bulb filament right through the glass bulb!
    ULS 135 watt w/rotary, Mazak QT-6T CNC lathe, Dapra machining center, Sherline CNC, Tormach CNC, Acad, Rofin welding laser, YAG laser w/ rotary, 4500 watt Fiber laser
    Boone Titanium Rings

i have a box fan in the window (helps suck out superglue fumes) but no
    speed/on/off dial. So I measured the piece and cut one out of acrylic.
    Also made a couple of parts for the laser that holds the mirror assembly
    onto the belt (ribbed plastic to mesh with the teeth) and assorted little
    odds and ends.

Next stop, someone told me that wallyworld has BLANK valentines candies.

I smell some mischief coming on...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I find the laser comes in real handy for household fixes, but it all depends upon what your "household" is. While raising the latest round of chicks, I used the laser to create some temporary plywood perches for them while they were under the heat lamps in the stock tank. To make it easier for the elderly dogs to eat, I made some painted MDF raised dog food bowl/stands. I made an "oven stick" out of plywood that I can pull the oven rack out or push it back in. I made a number of gaskets for the old tractors and other farm-related devices. I have used acrylic scraps to make measuring devices for the race motorcycle where a certain part needed to be at an exact angle and have X mm gap between the other part. I have made light switch & electrical covers to hide the non-standard size holes in the walls of our ancient farmhouse. I made a sort-of L-shaped tool out of wood so I can push the ash & pellets out from under the pellet pot in our pellet stove when it's cleaned. I have used it to cut fabric and leather when making repairs to clothing - sure scissors would have worked, but it wouldn't have been fun! I have also used to mark engine parts, but hard to explain how and why it needed to be done without seeing the parts - it involved painting the parts and marking the paint with lines rotated at specific degrees. Future plans will be to replace the scratched-up glass in the ancient french doors with plexi since I have a gob of scrap plexi. Oh, and another was to use some black rowmark Textures to fill a hole in the dash of a friend's classic Ranchero where a gauge used to be and someone had put a hokey patch over it. The Textures made it look like it was a stock part that could be removed to insert a gauge.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

When I accepted my first programming job, I waited until Sunday evening to make a five hour drive to Indianapolis to begin work the following day. Just before I left home, one of my sons braved the sub-zero temperature to remove a few items from our minivan. Unfortunately, he bumped his head into one of the windows and because of the extremely cold temperature, he shattered the glass into a thousand slivers.

I made some quick measurements and cut three pieces of acrylic to insert into the door. I sealed it with some clear packing tape and drove to Indy. Without the laser, it would have been a long, cold, and noisy drive north. The fit and appearance was good enough that I did not get the window replaced for several weeks.
    Mike Conley

Software Developer
    Epilog Mini 18 40 watts, Quatro fume extractor, CorelDraw Graphics Suite X5, CadLink Engravelab PhotoLaser Plus

YEAH,

Well mine washes clothes, fixes meals, changes oil, chainsaws the grove!

Oh, lasers, mine mostly just sits there-occasionally making some money

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

All great stories, but I'm thinking that Mike Chance would be lost without the laser!

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

11. We have an old Panasonic vacuum cleaner in our shop. The hose kept unscrewing as I moved it around so I cut a small rectangular acrylic piece and stuck it in the grove of where the hose attaches & taped it. It's been working great ever since!
    Epilog 35 Watt Mini 12" x 24"
    New Hermes V3400
    Kwikprint 55
    CorelDraw 2017, Illustrator, Photoshop

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    All great stories, but I'm thinking that Mike Chance would be lost without the laser!
    LOL Well, yes I would be rather lost without it. While I'm not rich from it, it does pay the bills .... and it's a very handy tool to make things when you have obsolete parts or don't want to order the items somewhere online and wait weeks for it to arrive.

While there are other versatile "tools" out there, it always amazes me how many different things you can do with the laser and how each person who looks at it can think of an entirely different project to do.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

You guys are great! I love this thread...I too have used my laser for household fixes, like when I wanted to make my dishwasher have a black front instead of white...so I cut some black poly-vinyl with holes to expose the pad buttons. You'd never know it wasn't factory, haha. My husband bought a new wider sanding head for his round sander and it did not come with a matching plate, so I made one for him out of acrylic. Happy hubby! The laser is fast becoming my tool of choice for lots of small chores like gasket making & tool marking too. When we replaced all the doors in the house recently with new cherry doors but old vintage hardware, we could not find old lockset parts like doorknob washers at our local Walmart... so I made them, and voila!
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Ask me why I asked my company, if I bought a cartridge ($260 bucks) for our 3D dimension printer, if I could use it from time to time using my own supplies...

It reminded me of this story, it isn't a plug for the company mentioned, but I thought it was a great idea for those who don't have access to the 3d technology and I would pass it on...

http://gizmodo.com/5827836/man-3d+pr...id-huge-ripoff

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Boone View Post
    With my welding laser, I've rewelded a broken light bulb filament right through the glass bulb!
    That machine will almost pay for itself in repaired light bulbs! Actually that does sound pretty cool, What do you normally use it for though?
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin