Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 220v Floor outlet in workshop?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Dotson View Post
    That's a good point Joe, since there should be a dust collection run to every "island" in the workshop, I will consider ceiling mounted outlets with twist lock cords dropping down beside the dust collection run.
    Remember that hanging cords need to have strain-relief connectors.

Sam,
    I did the same thing you want to do in my two car garage. I laid pressure treated sleepers, 12" O.C. on my slab, covered with 3/4" plywood. As I am in a cold clime (Philadelphia), I fitted 1.5" rigid foam between the sleepers to keep the floor warm in the winter. You write that you are going to put the 6 mil plastic between the sleepers and the ply deck. From my research, and what I did, was put the plastic on the slab, then laid the sleepers. You want the vapor barrier between the concrete and the wood. If your slab was poured with a vapor barrier below it, then you shouldn't need the plastic above and shouldn't do it. You will be creating a sealed envelope around the concrete with no way for the moisture to evaporate. But if no barrier below the slab, put the plastic on top, then the wood.
    As for the floor outlet, I placed a 220v 'floor box' just behind my table saw. I planned out my shop and knew that I wouldn't be moving it from that location. I ran the NM cable from the panel and stapled to the sleepers to the sealed box. Since there is only one outlet, and the saw is plugged in all the time, I'm not concerned with dust getting in the box. If I do remove the plug (as I do sometimes roll the cabinet saw out of the way), I put the brass screw cap on the box plate. I'm glad that I don't have a cord running along the floor to a wall outlet waiting for me to trip over it or crush it with a tool or lumber.

I am turning a 2-car garage in my new home (in Texas) into a workshop. I am finalizing my electrical plan for a sub panel and several 110 and 220 circuits, and I'm wondering if there is a "code correct" way to install a 220 circuit flush mount in the floor. Sine I don’t have a basement, and my shop floor is cement, I am adding a wood floor over the slab by laying pressure treated 2x4's on the cement (attached with glue and nails), then 6-mil plastic sheeting, and then 3/4" ply wood over that. This should give 2 1/2 inches for conduit and an electrical box. Assuming I have the room under the floor, what does the code say about this?

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell View Post
    Remember that hanging cords need to have strain-relief connectors.
    does a twist lock plug count as strain-relief?

Sam

Michael,

With the plastic on the slab, how did you attach the sleepers to the slab? Did you use tapcon screws or powder actuated nails?

Sam

Blog Entries
    I have a crawl space with t&g plywood decking and I installed several floor mounted plugs. I wanted to avoid saw dust getting into a flush mounted plug, so I mounted a metal plug box to a small 2x4 block, then drilled a 3/4 inch hole thru the block. I then drilled a hole in the floor, ran the wire up into the box and screwed the block to the floor. That way the plug is vertical and I only have a small 3/4 hole in the floor. If I want to move the plug I can fill the floor hole with a 3/4 dowel and drill a new one where needed. I always place these under or very close to the tool so that I won't trip on it. Seems like you could do the same in your raised floor. I'm not sure if that would violate some code, but it works for me.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I did the same thing as Mike but the floor floats. I screwed the sleepers to the sill plate after I got the sleepers level. I didn't want to drill into the slab for fear I'll start getting condensation. I did the sleepers with insulation then plastic over that and then screwed T&G OSB over that. My back is liking the wood floor. The OSB looks kind of ugly and will flake but when you need to push a plane you won't slip and slide.

I ran a few lines under the floor to the center of the roon, 20X20. I have my TS and an assembly table as one so the lines go into a junction box attached to the table and then split out from there. All I have is the line coming out of a hole in the floor. The lines are under my extension table so they aren't a tripping hazard. I wouldn't put a box directly in the floor due to dust getting in it.
    Don

I spilled a gallon of lacquer thinner on the floor last week. I wonder what that would have done with a floor plug.

I have the same sized shop. I installed a 220 line on 1 wall using conduit for my compressor and made a 220 extension chord. NY code allows me to mount the line on the wall as long as I use conduit. The extension chord can even be used overhead. As I'm only running the chord about 10 feet, it doesn't pose a problem. I will be installing another plug, eventually, on an opposite wall for my eventual dust collector. As others have stated, the floor outlet, if code permits, is really more for stationary tools and workbenches. The best ones are those heavy duty brass ones that you can't get at a big box store, but even those have to be cleaned from time-to-time. Good luck with your endeavor.

Sam.

Basically. I built it as a floating floor. My garage/shop is 24' x 22', so I built it in half, each approx. 22' x 12'. The only sleepers I fastened with Tapcons were the outside perimeter, every 2' just to keep it from moving around when I put the framing together. I snapped a line down the center of the space, laid PT 2x4s (one 10', one 12') on center, measured out to the walls to get parallel lines and tacked down the perimeter sleepers over the plastic. I installed the sleepers, 12" O.C. (I felt 16" was too wide as I roll some of my heavy machinery around from time to time). I started tying the sleepers and center/rim plates with Simpson connectors, but found it easier and cheaper to just toe-screw them together. As my slab was sloped considerably toward the center drain in the floor (almost three inches from outer walls to center drain!), I used PT ply (1/4, 1/2, 3/4) and PT 2x6s andv5/4 x 6 decking as shims, fine tuning it with some construction shims to make it level front to back and side to side. I screwed those to the sleepers to keep them from shifting, using PT rated deck screws. I strung some level lines and use my laser level to get it nearly close to level.
    With the grid in place, I filled the voids with 1.5" rigid foam, taped the seams and over the sleepers with foil tape, and screwed the 3/4" deck down (AC ply) with 2" deck screws, staggering the boards. Three coats of satin latex porch and floor paint and it was ready to use in a day and a half.
    Works well for me, going on two years (did the same at my old garage too) and no issues. Thinking of putting on a touch up coat of paint on the floor, but not till spring.
    I made it a floating floor, as I saw no need to fasten it down everywhere and compromise the slab. The screwed down decking and some tapcons around the perimeter is all that is needed. It'll be easy to take up if ever we sell the house (no construction adhesive or nails, just screws). I did use a few dabs of foam board construction adhesive to hold the 6 mil plastic in place on the slab. Easy enough to scrape up if the wood floor does need to come up.
    Good luck with your floor.

Michael,

With the plastic on the slab, how did you attach the sleepers to the slab? Did you use tapcon screws or powder actuated nails?

Sam

First, I would find out what your building inspectors consider a garage. Just saying you won't use it as one any more probably doesn't mean much. What I would expect them to say is what happens when the next owner pulls his SUV onto that wood floor.

But putting that issue aside, there are lots of floor box choices. Besides major manufacturers like Hubbell, there are are companies like this www.lewelectric.com. Most of them have PVC boxes which seems like a good idea, but I can't recall one that is shallow.

I planned my stationary tool layout before I built my shop and ran electric conduit and 4" PVC for dust collection before I poured the concrete. I used the flush mount brass boxes that have threaded covers for each outlet and I keep a cover on the outlets that aren't in use. I live in Michigan and park my truck in the shop and the building and electrical inspector didn't have a problem with anything I did. I highly recommend you have the work inspected because your home owners insurance company may deny a claim if you don't. I sloped the floor on the half of the shop where I park my truck and put in a drain and dry well. The other half of the shop is where the stationary tools and floor electrical outlets are and in 15 years I've never had a problem with water or dust getting in the outlets. I sweep up the big stuff and use an electric leaf blower to finish up. The one thing I would have done different is use larger conduit with large sweep elbows. I didn't use the long 4" PVC sweep elbows where the dust port comes out of the concrete. This prevents narrow cutoffs from the table saw from getting stuck in a inaccessible spot and on the rare occasion they create a blockage they can be easily cleaned out.

to comment on the code issue with the flooring, if you're not parking in there any more, then the Inspector might be OK if you take out the garage door and frame in a sliding door or french door......

Agree with the comment - what about the next owner.......

When you sell the house just rip out the floor unless the new owner wants it. I'm leery about putting a flush mount outlet in the floor with or without a cover. Try to get it off the ground a few inches or so.
    Don

does a twist lock plug count as strain-relief?

Sam
    The wire itself needs to have strain relief. I bet you've seen it. It's a wire mesh sleeve that goes around the outer insulation of the dropped cord. Carries the weight of the drop so the electrical connections (in the overhead box and in the twist-lock connectors) do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    When you sell the house just rip out the floor unless the new owner wants it. I'm leery about putting a flush mount outlet in the floor with or without a cover. Try to get it off the ground a few inches or so.
    Its not so much that you can take it out as it is how the building code is used. Floor outlets aren't unusual.