Thread: Ridgid OSS table problems

Ridgid OSS table problems

The other Ridgid OSS thread the other day got me thinking.

1) There are a lot of guys here with one, and I wonder if any others have noticed what I've noticed.
    2) How big of a deal it actually is

I got one for Xmas. It had a crown at the center of the drop down table along the hinging line when the table is positioned at 90 degrees to the spindle. The crown creates a lip right next to the spindle, probably 1/32" to 1/16".

I took it back, but lo and behold, the second one has the same problems.

I need to fill out the warranty info before the middle of the month so I'm hoping to have it all settled before I send in the paperwork. Maybe I'll have to just keep returning them?

Anyone else have this problem? Now that you look you have this with yours but never noticed?

I 've had one for years (mine is one of the original grey/off white ones) and I'd replace it in a second if it died, but lets face it- it's a $200 plastic and cast aluminum sander sold at home dumpo. Mine is off in the same place as you describe and it has never given me any issues. These are fairly coarse and crude machines but they work just fine for their intended purpose. There's a good chance that by the time you find a flat one it will have unacceptable vibration or runout, both of which are the real dealbreakers...

Anyone else?
    Last edited by Kurt Cady; 02-03-2012 at 10:41 PM.

Same here for me. I never use it for precision work (for refining curves for the most part). So perfect table flatness isn't a big deal to me.