Thread: Dust Hood for Makita 2012 Planer?

Dust Hood for Makita 2012 Planer?

Does anyone know a source for a dust hood for a Makita 2012 planer? I know they used to make one it was part # 192010-2. They make one for the newer model 2012NB, was wondering if that would work for me. Or if anyone has laying around would like to buy. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kirkpatrick View Post
    Does anyone know a source for a dust hood for a Makita 2012 planer? I know they used to make one it was part # 192010-2. They make one for the newer model 2012NB, was wondering if that would work for me. Or if anyone has laying around would like to buy. Thanks
    Yes, the hood for the NB works on the older 2012. I recently picked one up from another forum member for my 2012 http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...des&highlight=

I made one that allows for use with a 4" hose and connector - way better than the Makita offering. It was an easy set up. If you can wait until Friday evening - after my work day - I'll post a photo. It is just sheet metal and a piece of plywood that works beautifully. Until tomorrow then?

Thanks Sam....and if that doesn't work I'll go Jays route. Thanks to both!

This is what I did - and for sure it can work for you with less than an hour worth of effort. This set up was a throw together with material on hand - could be done much nicer but since it worked I was not inclined to redo.

The first photo shows the basic set up - 2 cheek pieces with a 1/4" mdf top, and a sheet metal piece folded over from the top to the lower edge. All sealed with very nice duct tape .

The 2nd photo shows how the rig is attached to the planer using the 2 existing hold downs. The 2 Makita plastic headed screw hold downs are the ONLY attachment.

The 3rd photo shows the assembled unit pulled away from the planer. You can see that the collector consists of my assembly connected to the metal plate on which sits the tool box.

The 4th photo shows the assembly on its edge. Looking at the underside you can see that I attached the existing steel plate to the 1/4" mdf. The mdf is also attached to the side pine angle pieces and then the sheet metal is folded over to rest against the bottom of the planer frame.

If I were doing this again (and I had a break) I would fold over a heavier gauge metal so that my top and under side were all one piece. The sheet metal that I used was just flashing coil stock that you can cut with a utility knife of tin snips. The extra piece of duct tape shown in the 4th photo is to cover a hole. (I used that piece before for squirrel abatement at my bird feeders .)

Alternatively I would make the top with 1/8" masonite rather than the 1/4" mdf. The thinner material would allow the hold down screw better purchase. They just barely catch going through the mdf and the metal guard. BUT it works very well.

Also, I used duct tape in case I needed to modify but for a more refine version I would have caulked my seams. Though on the very out feed edge the duct tape is the easiest way to hold the 1/2" fold of the sheet metal to the mdf.

The only caution is to make certain that the bottom edge of the sheet metal fits well against the frame of the machine without hanging even a fraction of a mm below into the outfeed. You don't want your boards dragging the dust collector off. As you might be able to see in the 1st photo, the fit at the bottom is not prefect - just very close - without hanging below the frame.

My pine cheek pieces are as outboard as I could get them, including a slight rabbet to fit around the casting. I think otherwise the photos are self explanatory. With the 4" collection port from Rockler, this is very effective at clearing the debris as I plane.

It is an inexpensive low tech and easy to build substitute for the Makita option. If my explanation and photos are not clear enough, ask and I will try to fill in the gaps of info.

Good luck, Sam
    Attached Images Attached Images

I used an HVAC duct fitting on my Ridgid. You might check at your local HVAC supply house if anything they have is close to the right size. They are pretty easy to cut and modify to fit the opening on the paner and then seal to the planer with HVAC foil tape. Works great on mine and cost like $4. You'd certainly be better off with something that you can run 4" to for sure. I actually have 6" to mine. It's loud but gets nearly every chip.

28957293.JPG

ToolBarn.com shows they have 51 of them in stock. Part number Makita 193036-7. Here is the link to it.http://www.toolbarn.com/makita-193036-7.html