Thread: Contemplating donating a few hours a week of shop work to a local school.

Contemplating donating a few hours a week of shop work to a local school.

As title indicates, I am contemplating donating an hour or two of production time on a weekly basis to a local school. My shop revolves around a CNC router and soon, a laser engraver.

I am thinking items can be made for art class, like profiles of animals kids can paint. However, that's pretty much all I can think of. Does anyone have a few ideas for practical items that can be made to be used in the local schools? Would such an offer be even acceptable in our red tape world?

Great Idea! You get the enjoyment of making something, and giving something too.

Just sitting here typing, here's some other ideas:

-Check with administration about need for display frames--announcements/accomplishments etc which need frames and maybe plexiglass fronts.

-Signs

-Awards with your laser engraver

-shelves/storage, hanging hooks etc.

If your school is cold to your offers, don't forget about other organizations. How cool would it be to have boy scouts come and learn about CNC/Laser stuff and get their pinewood derby car engraved or something....

good luck!

How about letting kids design things for themselves. You would get a line drawing or cad file, then cut it out on your router. (I don't know how doable this is, it's just a concept).

or bird houses to be set up for spring. I'm making a bunch of those with my CR Onsrud pin router.