Thread: Interesting piece ...

Interesting piece ...

What do you think a guy might be able to get out of this? It's on a tree near Fredricksburg battlefield that I observed while passing through.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks, Ron

Wooden umbrella!

Dog house?? Or a mushroom.

There is a lady down in the southern states that turns HUGE pieces with a home made lathe-- Her husband died and she took over. They use a forklift to load the wood on the lathe. I don't have the web site now, but impressive. That is one big burl.
    Jerry

Several thousand pen blanks??????
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Anybody think I could sneak in there with my chainsaw tonight?

Actually I have looked at several trees here in the Fredericksburg area that have fallen or been cut and are just laying there, but they are all on county land. I have gona as far as to call the county and ask if I could take it and every time the answer is "NO""Too much liability for them" Every day I drive by a streach of park land that has at least 10 trees that are down that the county cut in to 6 or 7 ft chunks and are just letting rot.

It tears my heart out,

Chris

Same thing here in MD Chris... when we had a tornado come through last year, I went for a drive through the Catoctin Park, the county was actually still cutting trees.. there were a couple of real nice maples down... I asked the road crew supervisor if I could have some of the cuts.. none were over 4 foot long... he actually was nice enough to call his boss... the answer was NO... and the reason.. LIABILITY... now I could not figure this out since I was not the one doing the cutting and the road crew supervisor was going to have the pieces put in my truck for me... I did not even have to handle them... Even he said it made no sense... as he told the guys to put 4 logs in the back of my truck.... LOL... he was also a woodturner I found out... his personal truck had already been loaded with more that it should have... LOL..
    Tom Mullane
    Hagerstown, MD
    If you work with your hands you are a laborer
    If you work with your hands and head you are a craftsmwn
    If you work with your hands, head and heart you are an artist

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lee
    Anybody think I could sneak in there with my chainsaw tonight?

Actually I have looked at several trees here in the Fredericksburg area that have fallen or been cut and are just laying there, but they are all on county land. I have gona as far as to call the county and ask if I could take it and every time the answer is "NO""Too much liability for them" Every day I drive by a streach of park land that has at least 10 trees that are down that the county cut in to 6 or 7 ft chunks and are just letting rot.

It tears my heart out,

Chris
    Chris, have you told them your name? If not, I would be going to get some of that wood! However, I would go out after dark
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

I have tried, but it is down this one lane road that has no pulloffs except for where they have locked gates. It's like the wood is being held prisoner.

Chris

10. Wink

.... As I recall, you call those WOLF TREES. Don't remember all the details off the top of my head but it is a bacteria that causes that type of growth. This type of tree, though smaller, were quite common on the mountain and nearby where we used to live .

Boyd
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
    What do you think a guy might be able to get out of this? It's on a tree near Fredricksburg battlefield that I observed while passing through.
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.