Thread: mallet material question

mallet material question

I'm still learning my way around the lathe so I want to try turning some mallets. Is walnut a good material for a mallet? Typically I see them made out of maple or such, but I have a lot of walnut on hand, and no maple. While I can use it regardless of suitability I don't really want to make something that's pointless. I don't have a mallet so it will get some use.

Thanks!

I'd say go for it, good practice if nothing else. Plus, if you somehow ruin it, just turn another one with an even better shape. Walnut isn't gonna take the abuse of, say, hickory, but you'll be able to knock around a bit with it. I'd say make it, be sure to sign and date it somewhere that won't get destroyed, then use it like crazy and when you've used it to the point of needing a new on, toss in the back of a cabinet somewhere. You'll appreciate it lots when you find it in 20 years!

Walnut is not the best choice for a mallet but it should work. More dense and split resistant wood is more commonly used. If you have plenty, make a couple of them. If you manage to wear one out (probably would take a lot of use), you would still have another.

I made a mallet head from walnut 5 to 7 years ago and it is dented, but otherwise intact. The grain in the head is oriented 90 degrees to the handle so that the end grain takes the impact, which may make a difference (I was not turning at the time).

Hi Bill;
    I made one from walnut and it is lasting just fine. The head is oriented so the end grain takes the beating. I also drilled two holes into the side (about 1" diameter). I filled the holes with molten lead, to about 1/4" from the top of the hole. The head is square so it was easy to fill with Lead. I then fitted a Walnut plug to cover each hole.
    The extra weight is fantastic giving the mallet the appropriate smack weight.
    Good luck.
    Peter F.

i made a masher instead of a mallet '05, used maple, ok but if i find the right piece of dogwood i will probably make another