Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need laser repair...

Need laser repair...

Years ago I purchased a "J" Series Pinnacle laser and loved it. Several years ago it started going into autofocus at random times and became unusable for that reason. We purchased a large format laser and pushed this one to the back of the shop. We now have a need for it because of its small footprint and vector cutting ability.

To say the company from which we purchased it had poor customer support would be to suggest they had any so we are looking for anyone who can repair it or point me in the right direction. Any help will be appreciated.

Did I miss where you are loacted ????? USA or ......other
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Who did you purchase it from?

Many have reported having good experience with JORLINK INC., GCC rep in eastern USA.

You may check if Rob Bosworth (member here) of usedlasers.com does repair on GCC machines.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Additional Info.

Sorry...I am in San Angelo, Texas but realize there will be no one nearby. I would be willing to take/ship the laser a reasonable distance.

Since I made a somewhat derogatory comment about where it was purchased and I don't want to get into that kind of argument I will just say it was purchased from a firm in Dallas. They seemed about the closest dealer in lasers at the time.

Blog Entries
    Have you considered removing the autofocus sensor and be done with it? The wiring is probably getting wonky.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Have you considered removing the autofocus sensor and be done with it? The wiring is probably getting wonky.
    Well...not sure what the autofocus sensor is. If you are talking about the plunger that makes contact to stop the upward movement of the table the answer is yes. I also replaced a portion of the ribbon cable and then disconnected the cable...all with no improvement.

If it is on a board somewhere I am unfamiliar with it.

Sometimes, it would focus just fine and run an entire job. Sometimes, it would focus fine then, somewhere in the middle of the job it would just move the table up until it contacted the plunger...then move down the required offset then repeat that sequence until we managed to stop the laser. Sometimes, when trying to focus initially, it would go right into the erratic re-focus mode. While I found the autofocus quite handy, I could live without it if I could just use the machine.

Dan...I see you have a Stinger. Are you on the Camheads forum? I haven't been on much lately but use my Stinger almost daily.

Joe

Have you made contact with Roy in Arlington?

Engraving Concepts
    P.O. Box 120322
    Arlington, TX 76012
    (817) 460-8122 phone
    (817) 469-8560 fax
    sales@engravingconcepts.com
    www.engravingconcepts.com
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Sabine View Post
    I will just say it was purchased from a firm in Dallas. They seemed about the closest dealer in lasers at the time.
    That tells me all I need to know, I got my laser from the same place (I think). I can highly recommend LaserProNA, they helped me out of a jam with an X rail when mine went bad. We are not supposed to hotlink so type www laserprona com with the appropriate dots. Tell them Gary with laser Image recommended them - won't get you or I anything but I'm sure they'll appreciate the referral.

Gary

I wonder if its not your LCD/control panel going bad - there really is no programmeable Z axis on the older GCC machines that would make it randomly AF...
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    I wonder if its not your LCD/control panel going bad - there really is no programmeable Z axis on the older GCC machines that would make it randomly AF...
    We have replaced the panel with the membrane switches on it but have done nothing to the LCD screen...

Check grounds of the lcd/membrane panel , check the limit switches of the table , try disabling table movement when booting (a machine option) , remove and reseat all cables/ribbons/wires/ram on the motherboard.
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    Check grounds of the lcd/membrane panel , check the limit switches of the table , try disabling table movement when booting (a machine option) , remove and reseat all cables/ribbons/wires/ram on the motherboard.
    Thank you...I will try all of that. If you disable table movement will you still be able to manually focus?

Yes, you will be able to.

Joe
    Do a search here for Pinnacle lasers. If it's the company I think it is their tech is a member here. You can email him.

I don't want to further identify the company as I may be wrong.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7