View Poll Results: Do you get the local paper?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • I never got the local paper

27 19.42%
  • I used to get the local paper but dropped it

51 36.69%
  • I get the local paper but will likely drop it in the next year

8 5.76%
  • They'll bury me with my local paper

53 38.13%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you still get a local paper?

Do you still get a local paper?

Just curious as I've been reading a lot about this lately between a debate raging on a local newspaper's forum about the local paper's decline and from Facebook posts from a childhood friend who's a night editor for a big city paper.

I actually created a poll I can't answer in a straight forward manner myself. There's a local 2x weekly, delivered by mail paper that covers the west part of our county where I live that we have gotten for 10 years now and I don't anticipate dropping that. The regular newspaper for our area we dropped a few years back because of rapidly declining quality. Most of the content was rehashed stuff from the AP I read anywhere from 8-72 hours ago online and there was way too little local reporting. We also get the Toledo Blade which does almost as good a job covering our local news but I'd like to drop that or at least cut back to Sunday only--most daily editions go straight to recycling and the only reason I know of that we get it is that my wife wants the Sunday coupons and ads. I would actually read it except that anything important I've read online by the time the physical paper gets in the house.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 01-28-2012 at 10:40 AM.

Blog Entries
    We've gotten our local paper (the Washington Post) delivered to us for a long time.

It's affordable. I think we'll always get it.

PHM

I do but it is only a weekly paper. I live out in the country so I would get yesterdays paper today if I got a daily, so it would not work for me anyway. It could be delivered to my work address the same day. I used to work for the papermill in Manistique until it went bankrupt due to sales and high wastepaper prices (raw material). There have been a lot of mills shutdown since the internet started. The decrease in newsprint is on the order of 5% per year for the last 8 years. The first quarter of last year, 10 large metro area newspapers ceased printing. They all are on line.

The papermill in Manistique is running again and will go up for auction in the next month or so. NewPage is in bankruptcy. NewPage is a large manufacturer of coated paper for magazines and catalogs. Obviously the internet has had a big affect in these areas as well.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

I have always taken a local paper.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

We use to, but our local daily has become so blatantly biased that we dropped it. I check the obits on a regular basis online, but thats about it.

I read the news from many sources and areas online from my Android on the way to work (Bus) but still get the local daily paper. I read it in the evening despite the overlap/repetition. On the weekends I enjoy it with my morning coffee and don't have to worry about spilling on my laptop keyboard. I think it's just more of a habit than anything else.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I still get the local newspaper every day. I also subscribe to a couple of magazines on my iPad and have been thinking about switching the paper subscription over to their wireless version.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Still getting the local paper daily while watching CNN and reading the news online.

My father was a newspaper man. I grew up reading the paper, and still take one today.

That said, I'm probably going to drop it. Tired of opinions disguised as news. Tired of delivery issues. And the price keeps going up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aldrich View Post
    I do but it is only a weekly paper. I live out in the country so I would get yesterdays paper today if I got a daily, so it would not work for me anyway. It could be delivered to my work address the same day. I used to work for the papermill in Manistique until it went bankrupt due to sales and high wastepaper prices (raw material). There have been a lot of mills shutdown since the internet started. The decrease in newsprint is on the order of 5% per year for the last 8 years. The first quarter of last year, 10 large metro area newspapers ceased printing. They all are on line.
    Which ten major metro papers went online last year? I work at a major metro newspaper and I'm not aware of more than a handful of major metro papers that went online only. A few still print some days of the week.

I subscribed to the newspaper long before I started working there. Unfortunately, I don't think working at a newspaper is a long term career option. Luckily, my skills are transferable to just about any industry.

I pick up the local paper on the news stand from time to time if a big event happens. With local TV news on all the time here paper is kinda old news.
    I do like USA today. Anyone get USA Today on the I-pad or kindle?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

We get the local paper (small town) everyday and get The Tennessean (more national and state) on weekends. We get a lot of coupons from each and they basically pay for the papers.

Yes, but only 3 days a week now. Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. Tried to cut back to just Sunday delivery however that is not an option with the local paper. It's 3 day delivery or 7 day delivery or nothing. I wonder why newspapers are having a difficult time?

at one time ,I had a choice of three different papers but no more , paper is not hard copy any more, it is still call a newspaper but the paper is the internet

Still get our local daily. It's been kind of sad watching it get smaller and smaller over the last few years. The Monday and Tuesday editions are down to only 2 sections. Latest thing I've noticed is rather than print news (local or not) they pad out the paper with stories of those with almost any kind of claim to fame who recently died. I just assume that kind of story is cheaper than printing hard news or paying a local reporter. Still, I've been reading it for my entire life and will continue as long as it's printed.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson