Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple Oak Bowl

Simple Oak Bowl

9", finished with WOP. Still trying to figure out how to take pix. It's a personal victory bkz it's one of the first I was able to turn fairly thin, without tearout, and with no cracks; most of the oak I turn green cracks during the drying.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice Prashun! That is a beautiful bowl! Did you twice turn this one? Looks to round to be onceturned.

Beautiful bowl Prashun! You really got it thin! I like band around the middle and it looks like you got a really nice finish on it. Great job.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Very nice! 'Simple' is one of the hardest things to do well, but you've made it look easy!

Thanks. Baxter, yes, it is twice turned. I misspoke when I said 'turned green'. I meant rough turned from green, dried for a couple months, then re-turned.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 01-26-2012 at 8:07 AM.

Very well done, simple, yet elegant.

Very nice touch with the band. That's a good looking bowl.

Very nice.
    Fred

Excellent work, Prashun!! I like the form and detailing on this one, and the wood is very "clean". Looks like white oak??

On the pic - couple of suggestions - it is cropped a little close and the depth of field is not great. Perhaps use a smaller aperture setting and leave a little more background in cropping?

love the shape..you got that oak smooth!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Prashun

Somebody else used the word----elegant!
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks, All. John, this oak fell in my neighbor's yard. I believe it's white oak, but I never could tell the diff that easily between red oak, white oak, poison oak.

I am still working out big kinks in my photography. Is aperture the same as F-stop? I'm having trouble getting close enough to show detail but far enough to allow better depth of field.

I'm using a Cowboy Studio, which is a little small. When you photograph how do you place your lights?

The biggest a-ha I had wrt taking photos is to use a tripod (you suggested that, JK), and to use the timer. It really changed the focus.

Prashun,
    Great oak bowl. There are lots of oaks and I believe you are correct about this one being white. Your shape is very nice and the workmanship clean. As far a photography, I am also working to learn more then I currently know. As far as depth of field is concerned, may I suggest setting your f stop to 22 and use whatever shutter speed is required to get good exposure. Being used to hand held cameras, we never think about shutter speeds over a small portion of a second but with a tripod and using the self timer to shoot the picture, you can hold the shutter open forever. Give it a try. That will solve depth of field for sure.
    faust

Very good bowl.

15. Great bowl Prashun........good curve, the band is a nice feature and your finish is nice as well........with the thin-ness you achieved I would guess it is light to the feel for oak. Good job!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!