Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bulk wood screws...good place to buy?

McFeely's are so superior to run of mill that the cost differential seems to be worth it. That's why they're so highly recommended. I've gone to them too.

I use Kreg pocket hole screws a lot, and not just for pocket holes. I really like the quality, they're self tapping and if I bust a screw it's my fault. Have any of you used their pocket hole screws, and if so, do they compare well to Kreg's screws?.

I've gone through a couple large boxes of HD's Deckmate screws. I use them for general construction, furniture, and (probably most demanding) holding green wood blanks to a face plate on a lathe. They hold up very well.

The heads fit a #2 square bit and a phillips. I've found them very good at resisting strip out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Max View Post
    Check out --- Apple Fasteners
    I have been a customer for years.
    Do they work on other types of wood as well?
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

If you just want general purpose deck/sheetrock style screws, Wal-Mart has a pretty good deal going. For just under $10 they have a tub with 4 different sizes. It probably works out to between 2 and 3 lbs of screws, so a fair bit cheaper than the home centers. They are Phillips so work extremely well with an impact driver, but can cam out easily with a regular drill. The screws are great and Ihaven't broken a single one (I've broken plenty of cheap screws with my impact driver). The bit that comes with the set seems to be pretty low quality, though. Their other screw packages don't appear to be much of a value.

I'd like to find places locally that sell by the pound for a good price. I found a great hardware store when visiting the in-laws in CA and loaded up on a few sizes last Christmas. In Houston I found a cabinet supply place where I bough pocket hole screws for just a few dollars a pound. Still haven't found anything remarkable in the Dallas-Ft Worth area where I live, though.

If you need 1 1/4" fine pocket hole screws, Rockler often sells bags of 150 for just over $2 on sale.

Yeah, screws represent a fairly small part of a projects overall cost, but I hate buying screws in small, expensive packages.
    Last edited by Jay Jeffery; 01-27-2012 at 7:02 PM.

I use GRK screws which use a star shaped driver. They don't slip out or strip like the square drives. 2 local lumberyards stock GRK.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lewis View Post
    I use GRK screws which use a star shaped driver. They don't slip out or strip like the square drives. 2 local lumberyards stock GRK.

These are the very best of what is currently available. They are not inexpensive but...

I build lots of projects that require putting in and taking out screws and then reseting them - jigs, mock ups, staging or temporary framing - I can use the GRKs over and over with no loss of integrity or stripping of the torque drive head. Never been able to do that with any other kind of screw. Overkill for cabinetry but man o' man these are great for remodeling or building in general.

Used to get them from McFeely but have switched to Deerwood which are great quality but 1/2 the price. Also use GRK, Simpson Strongtie, OMG for Timberlocks and various specialty screws

+1 on Deerwood, you probably have a local dealer, if you can get them wholesale so much the better.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Has anyone mentioned McFeely's. I think they have quite a vast assortment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Three choices: McFeely's , McFeely's, or McFeely's.
    I wouldn't use any of them. I personally prefer McFeely's. Much better selection.
    I Pledge Allegiance to This Flag, And If That Bothers You Well That's Too Bad - Aaron Tippin

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Three choices: McFeely's , McFeely's, or McFeely's. Choose any one, and you can't go wrong. Every once in a blue moon, Peachtree puts Sommerfelds screws on sale. But McFeely's dollar shipping through March is the deal maker.
    And in case Bruce forgot to mention, McFeely's is a good choice. (The only place I buy screws)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jeffery View Post
    If you just want general purpose deck/sheetrock style screws
    You'd never want to use sheetrock screws for decking or any load bearing application. That's before you even start talking about coatings, suitability for the outdoors, etc.

Also check Lee Valley...

I'm up in Canada so McFeely isn't as attractive due to shipping. I did discover that Lee Valley carries Robertson-branded screws for less than much crappier screws at the local Home Depot. They're the "lo-root" and "self-drilling" ones. They also have Spax screws, which are very high quality and screw in easier than anything else I've used.