Thread: Cedar Hollow Forms

Cedar Hollow Forms

Working with some Cedar and experimenting with form and hollowing. First 2 are about 7x4.5 and last one is about 6x6. All have been covered with home brew danish oil then some lacquer. The oil seems to hold the cedar color very well. I have some pieces that are still red after couple of years. Last one lacquer went crazy so had to rub it down, spraying in cold garage I hope was the problem. Have not redone it yet. Hollowing needs to be a little smoother on the inside. Hard to see in the pictures but number 1 has some hairline cracks. I have had pretty good luck with bowls not cracking but these were a different story. Sorry for the non cropped pictures, cropped but did not stay that way. C & C welcome.

Cedar1.jpgCedar2.jpgCedar3.jpg

nice forms on a difficult wood for me, they tell me you must leave cedar a little more thick than other woods.....i sorta avoid it....well done

Steve, you are a brave man working with cedar! It isn't for me - turns well, but I can't tolerate the cracking. The second form is quite interesting. With a little different take on the neck/throat, it could be very interesting.

Not sure what may have happened with the finish on the last one, but I hope you are able to get it redone successfully.

Lots of interesting things to look at in those forms. Neat work Steve!

I really like the center one. Almost looks like glass. I like turning Cedar also but it does do some cracking.

"The best things in life are not things."

Nice job Steve! Lots of color in that wood!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

I luv the look of cedar, but it's a devil..these sure are pretty..good luck
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Nice job on those cedar pieces!

Beautiful work.

Nice work, Steve! I especially like the last one.