Thread: cost to rehab a motor

cost to rehab a motor

Hey everyone. I tried the search, but I am probably not using the right terms. I'm looking at a mid 40s Red Star RAS. Runs well, cosmetics as good as could be expected, but she screams like a Banshee. Any ideas on cost to fix this? I am assuming a re-winding, but I am not a motor guy. Any insight would be fantastic.

110V; ~ 1HP

Thanks!

Obviously I'm not able to hear what you hear, but first thing that springs to my mind when you say screaming is bearings. If it fires up and runs, then it's pretty unlikely that there is an open in the windings. If you know an old school electrician (or an area vocational center at a local high school that has an electricity program), you could ask to use a gizmo called a growler (at least that's what we called it back in the 80's). It generates a strong magnetic field and is supposed to howl if that field is passed through motor windings that contain a short. I never heard or saw it in it's proper usage, we used it to erase floppy diskettes when they got too far out of kilter for the TRS-80 or Pet CBM computer floppy drives to format them.

Thanks. Are bearing replacements/fixes any cheaper? I'm just trying to find an excuse to walk away. I know electrons are negative; that is about the extent of my working electrical knowledge.

Thanks again.

Bearings are usually pretty cheap. Buying pullers for bearings and puleys if you don't already have them cost a little bit, but you never have to buy them again. I see lots of RASs on my local CL. Unless that Red Star is something special (I'm certainly no expert on old iron) and since you don't seem to be looking for that type of project, I'd be tempted to sell it and buy a different one. With a little patience, you could find a Dewalt of similar vintage and end up with a first class RAS.

Thanks again - I appreciate the input.

I have a Dewalt RAS. Love it, but it is a little limited (more like its a hassle) with non-90 deg cuts. The older Delta/Red Stars have the massive turret arm, and might make for a nice dedicated miter saw. We'll see. Thanks again Jerome.

The bearings on the motor are one thing, how are the big ball bearings on the outside of the turret arm? I looked at a few of these over the years and when the balls get loose in the phenolic strip it might be more trouble then its worth.

Steve

Bearings of that size are generally pretty cheap. A rebuild at a motor shop is going to vary greatly depending on a lot of different factors, but I'd figure roughly $100 or thereabouts. The potential problem is bearings usually don't scream when they first go. Meaning that the saw may have been run with bad bearings for a while. If the bearings are shot....usually not a problem, but if they locked up and started spinning inside their housings.....not good

I'm not sure if you would be able to tell without taking apart. Is there any play if you grab the blade and try to wiggle it a bit? If so I'd walk away. Other than that I don't see any way of finding out what's going on without getting in there.

good luck,
    JeffD

Jake, sounds like it may be a bearing problem with that motor. First, thing I would suggest trying is clean out the motor really well with compressed air...you may be surprised how much junk, dirt and dust has accumulated inside the motor housing, These motors take a beating for along time before the user generally cleans them out. Also, check for oil cups on the motor shaft ( each end of the motor) they may simply need a few drops of 3n1 oil or some other light machine oil to clear up the problem.

Well, I bought it. I really didn't need another RAS. I also really didn't have the room for it. But I figured for a running saw for 25 bucks, it couldn't be beat. I took it home and it cleaned up well. Compressed air seems to work, and now it just has a low-pitched whine compared to the scream. The raceway bearings appear fine. Great motion in the yoke. And the arbor is tight. There is a little play in the column, but this can be adjusted. I I will plan on a complete disassembly this spring, and a nice paint job. The only other arn I have of this vintage is a huge Yates American lathe. I think it would look great to have them match after the restore. Thanks again everyone for all the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Elkins View Post
    ... I know electrons are negative; that is about the extent of my working electrical knowledge.
    Acually, in the 4th dimension electrons are positive, time moves backwards, tablesaws spit out solid lumber planks from little pieces, and furniture grows on trees.

- Beachside Hank