Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: trailer shopping?

Also, when you do get one and go to lower your tailgate for the first time, DO IT SLOWLY and see where it rests relative to the top of the jack stand. DAMHIKT If it's a simple A frame jack you can easily remove it and replace it with a swing away jack.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

...an expensive mistake on new trucks according to the guy who owns the place where we store our camper.

Blog Entries
    Wow, that's such a good tip that I would have NEVER thought of. I can imagine slamming the tailgate of the new COMPANY truck open and being apalled by the results. THANK YOU
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

I bought an iron eagle trailer after seeing and borrowing a friend's trailer and I love it. Mine is maybe a little over done with 5K axle, brakes, D rings in the floor for tie downs, landing legs for loading without it on the truck etc, but these are all options. If there is a dealer near you, I would go take a look, or check craigs list for used ones. These are tough enough that someone would have to really abuse it to damage it. http://www.ironeagletrailers.com/ironeagle/

Carl

Bob, I bought a 5' x 8' LoadRite trailer, which was made in Fairless Hills PA in lower Bucks County. It's built like a tank, completely galvanized and was about in your price range. Yea, it was more than some of the other brands around, but I felt it was much better built than them and has higher carrying capacity than most of them, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    If you are going to haul firewood, get a trailer with at least 2000 pounds of load carrying capacity. A face cord of green oak weighs nearly a ton. If you buy used, jack up the axle, and spin the tire and listen: it should turn quietly on well lubed bearings. Keep the tires inflated to the maximum pressure stated on the sidewall. When you get it home, new or used, pull the wheels and relube the bearings, particularly the inside bearing. Most trailers you see on the shoulder of the freeway either had under inflated tires or the bearings went bad due to lack of maintenance.

Lawrimore ( Made in Alabama) sells a nice 77" x12' 2990 GVW unit with 3500lb axles/ trailer tires etc.
    $1200 @ my local dealer.
    I have the 5x8 and am quite pleased with it`s construction. YMMV