Thread: Dewalt 618 router

Dewalt 618 router

I've seen numerous post, on various forums about problems with a magnetic ring in the speed control breaking. Most of those messages indicate that the break occurred when the router was upside down in a router table. Has Dewalt addressed this issue? Is it a non-issue if you never use it in a table? Is it better to avoid this router and pick something else?

Thanks!

I've got a 618 in the fixed base in my router table. It has never suffered that magnetic ring failure. (However, I'm familiar with it. I had a DW621 in the router table, and it did exactly that. The magnetic thingy slid off the end of the rotor and friction-welded itself on to the housing.)

The 618 drops nicely out of the fixed base without tools, so it is easy to pull out for bit changes. On the not-so-good side, the thing blows a lot of air to try to keep the work surface clean. This would be good in the normal use of the router, but in the router table use it blows all the dust up into your face.

Motor subject to that failure upside down or right side up.
    Unless your supplier will replace a busted motor right now I'd consider another species.
    However, if DW has upgraded its hardware I'd change my mind. Their motor is powerful and stands up to a lot of stress; it is a good one as long it's running.
    In that same power range is Bosch. They have a much better record with their speed controllers.

I didn't need another router for table use, I've got that more than covered. But a D-handle would be nice and that model does do some dust collection through the plunge base. Since I'm in no hurry, think I'll wait for some word that the issue hs been fixed or a new model without that issue comes out.

I have a 618 and like it quite a bit. It sees mixed (but still relatively light) overall use (50/50 hand-held and table-mounted). No issues yet....I'd hate to have it self destruct on me.

I see on the Dewalt site that they mention "See repair note" for this part. Does anyone know what this specific "note" is? I couldn't find anything.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.