Thread: JDS 3100-CK Dust Collector

JDS 3100-CK Dust Collector

I am considering purchasing the following. Anyone have experience with either of these items?

1. A JDS 3100-CK cyclone DC
    2. A Saw Stop 10", 3HP, Industrial TS with 52" rail extensions.

Thanks.

The title of your post doesn't say anything about the Sawstop, so you may not get any pulls on that. Sawstops tend to be divisive around here. Do a site search and you'll see a lot. My take is that the brake is considered a vital safety feature by many, and the build is quite solid. That said, I've never used one.

I do, on the other hand, have a JDS cyclone. Not the 3100-CK, but an earlier model that I want to call a 2000 or something. It is quite a solid machine, and I've been very happy with it. Went together easily, but definitely required two people to lift upright...

I have a that SawStop in my commercial shop. It was a no-brainer where employees are concerned. It cuts well, and is convenient and easy to adjust. The riving knife is excellent. The 4" dust collection under the saw is not very effective.
    JR

First, Sawstop Industrial is an excellent saw, from a pure saw perspective as good as any other 10" cabinet saw produced today and it has a blade brake. You can't really go wrong there.

Second, the JSD is a solid cyclone for a short portable unit, but value wise you may do better if you are buying new. The workshop forum has lots of information on cyclones.

If you are buying new you may want to do more research on the cyclone since I think there are better values out there, if you are buying used, they are in good condition and the price is right I would jump on them.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 01-24-2012 at 11:17 AM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    The 4" dust collection under the saw is not very effective.
    I don't recall hearing THAT very often.

Are you comparing it to another cabinet saw, and -- if so -- which one ?

Thanks.

The cyclone looks to very similar to this one sold in the UK: http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster...or-prod795037/ - suggesting that it's a generic Eastern made model.

I'm a bit wary of the squat cyclones used on many of these mobile units (in that the industrial versions tend to be taller), although there's little or nothing by way of test information about on the dust retention capability of any of the available cyclones so it's only a thought. I'd also want to check out the filter specification pretty carefully (HEPA or what?) - it's got quite a small area.

On the positive side if it performs like a typical 3HP LP fan it seems likely that it would deliver quite high CFM (Pentz style) if running a single machine on a short hose.

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 01-24-2012 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    I don't recall hearing THAT very often.

Are you comparing it to another cabinet saw, and -- if so -- which one ?

Thanks.
    Oh, it does OK at keeping dust off the table - at least no worse than any other table saw that I've owned (PM66, Unisaw, G350). Where it does worse is collection from the cabinet underneath the saw. I just walked back at took these. The 4" hose is not plugged up or anything. Plenty of DC capacity.

JR

Interesting. Thanks for the pics.

I wonder whether 4" is adequate, for this application. Hmmm.

I'm sitting on my ICS (In crates, still, until we move), but ... as I say ... don't think I'd heard this issue, before.

Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    Interesting. Thanks for the pics.

I wonder whether 4" is adequate, for this application. Hmmm.

I'm sitting on my ICS (In crates, still, until we move), but ... as I say ... don't think I'd heard this issue, before.

Thanks for that.

I think the issue is cabinet saws in general not the ICS or any SS specifically. The SS PCS and ICS along with the PM2000 generally are the ones magazine comparisons single out as the best at dust collection but that doesn't mean they are great, just better than the rest. To do a decent job at keeping chips/dust from collecting in the cabinet increasing the size of the port and ensuring there is enough make up air moving through the cabinet are very important. The SS and PM will likely need less "work" internally than most of the others. Add to this JR probably cuts a LOT more wood than most of us!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Thanks for that, Van. Cabinet saws are pretty "famous" for doing DC much better than contractor saws. It DOES help to calibrate my expectations, on the front end.

You're probably right about the # of BF he's running vs. somebody like me. I may wind up very happy with things, set up just as they are. If not ... then ... one day ... 6" ducting and a 3-5HP cyclone may be in my future.

Like I needed an excuse ;-)

I'm new to woodworking and i got the 3hp with the long extention's since the school I go to uses the industrial saws from SawStop. I love it. I make furniture and need the accuracy and ease of use. For me it works really well. I like the dust collection, but it's only a hobby for me. Have no problems with left behind ships or anything like that. I don't think the school does either, but I'll look next time.

I saw a cyclone system at the show last week. They are from VT and it looked great. Very good design and very powerful. The company is called Clear Vue Cyclones. The prices seem good and the system just seems to work. No clogging and plenty of pull. I've looked at the JDS as I have their air cleaner and the school I go to uses JDS for everything. That said, Clear View just seemed a much better choice and the one I'll buy when I put in a whole shop system.
    Last edited by Pete Swartz; 01-24-2012 at 2:44 PM.