Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lathe Storage Cabinet

Lathe Storage Cabinet

I have not done much turning lately, but rather organizing and building some storage for my shop. Here is my version of a cabinet under my Jet 1642. I used full extension drawer slides. You can never have too much storage space.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful cabinet,I gave up trying to unload the flat work tools to do anything like that.
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!

Nice cabinet Greg! And here I just thought you did spinny things!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Looks great, and should give you some ballast too!

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Nice idea, Greg! I have a couple of drawers below mine - great storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug W Swanson View Post
    Nice cabinet Greg! And here I just thought you did spinny things!
    Thanks Doug:

I still do some flatwork with my 30 year old tablesaw. I have mainly been turning the past 6+ years, but every once in a while I do some flatwork. I plan to build another cabinet for the work table to the right of the lathe

now that is one fine cabinet. You must be tall..i could not bend over that with my feet that far away from the bed..my knees would be banging into the drawers & I'd throw my back out..
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Nice looking cabinet there Greg. I bought the plywood to make one under my lathe, almost a year ago, but have never gotten around to it. Maybe looking at yours will motivate me.

9. Good work on that lathe cabinet, Greg............super idea on the full extension slides. It looks like you are pressed for space, just as I am in my "studio" and space is a luxury, so you have created some for yourself..........

I still love flat work, so I like to see things like this that help our turning endeavors........those drawers should give you space for turning tools, chucks, etc and make it convenient to get to all them when needed. Good work!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

You must be a younger man, a much taller one, or all your turnings are 16 inch diameter cause I would have to get a third back operation or get me some 6 inch lifts to my flip flops to turn that far away from the bed. (no flip flops were harmed in this thread)

I love full extension slides, if your going to make a drawer, may as well make it long enough to get to the very back.

You might give some thought to putting another layer of plywood over the top such that it overhangs over the top of the drawers. I had some drawers similar to that, but they always filled with chips and shavings. I ended up rebuilding it so that the face of the draw was overhung by the top - helped A LOT.

+1 on the previous comments about full extension drawer glides. I hate drawers that do not open all the way!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Quote Originally Posted by Jon McElwain View Post
    You might give some thought to putting another layer of plywood over the top such that it overhangs over the top of the drawers. I had some drawers similar to that, but they always filled with chips and shavings.
    Exactly my thoughts.

"The best things in life are not things."

That is a great piece of work Greg. It may work for you but it wouldn't work well for me because when I work the inside of a bowl I lean into the lathe and this just wouldn't allow me to do that. BUT, I hope it works for you the way you envisioned it.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

I did have concerns over the drawers sticking out too far and limiting the ability to lean over the bed. I am 6ft-2 so I don't think it will be a problem and I tested it when I was attaching the cabinet to the bottom frame which is attached to the lathe. I could push it back a few inches if I had to.

Jon - that is a good idea about another piece of plywood being an overhang. I was actually thinking about a piece of plywood with some formica glued to it for when I turn really wet wood.

Full extension drawers were a must as normally whatever I'm looking for ends up at the back of the drawer!

Thanks for the comments.

Funny you said that, Tony, I was thinking the same thing. But a few inches back and it would be perfect (for me). What a great space saver! That is awesome.
    I drink, therefore I am.