Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta 14" bandsaw dust collector port

Delta 14" bandsaw dust collector port

I have an older Delta 14" band saw with the small dust collector outlet. Are there any modifications that can be made to better collect the sawdust or is it something I just have to put up with. It is a solid saw that was still made in the USA that I bought used and I am trying to do a few improvements. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Blog Entries
    Collecting directly under the table makes other collection often unnecessary. Some ideas
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

100% agree with Glenn. Collecting right at the lower blade guide works considerably better than any other method. On my 17" saw, I was able to approach the lower guide from under the table, so the hose can come from behind the saw and give more clearance. I'm not sure if that would work with a 14" saw, but worth looking into.

Getting DC right under the table is indeed the way to go, the second picture of Glenn's three would be what I would shoot for. You may bee to make it so you can quickly take it off and on depending on how often you tilt the table, it is hard to set it up on a 14" saw so that it doesn't interfere when you try to tilt the table down.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I originally added a 2.5" port to the lower door on my Delta 14" BS. Didn't help much at all. I've since added a 4" port on a home made polycarbonate box and it gets 95%. I couldn't believe what a huge difference it made. I agree with the others that collecting the dust immediately below the lower guides is highly effective. The new box simply hangs on the lower door and lifts off with a few keyhole slots for blade changes.
    Dust Ports 1-001.jpgDust Ports 2-001.jpgDust Ports 3-001.jpg
    Dick Mahany.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Dick, that's a slick setup.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I think I may borrow your setup, Dick.

Glenn,

Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures. The more info the better.

Bob

It sure is! For us shameless copiers, any special techniques or hints for gluing the polycarb together or mounting it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Dick, that's a slick setup.

Dick,

Thank you also for taking the time to post the pictures and information. I agree the point of collection is important and I like your idea. If you do not mind I may give it a try.

Bob

My solution

I wouldn't do this on a vintage saw, but I'm completely satisfied with the 4" port at the bottom of the lower door (hooked to a 3hp DC).

IMG_0553.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    It sure is! For us shameless copiers, any special techniques or hints for gluing the polycarb together or mounting it?
    Jerome,

Not to hijack Bob's original question thread......I used IPS Weld-On #4 cement for the polycarb. I used polycarb rather than simple acrylic because of its non-shatter-like properties. The glue is water thin and moderately quick setting ( < 1 minute).. About $9 for a 4 oz can, applied with dropper / syringe.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 01-25-2012 at 8:55 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Collecting directly under the table makes other collection often unnecessary. Some ideas
    I resemble that guy in picture on top left. It's me!

Thanks! I really needed one more project <g>

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    Jerome,

Not to hijack Bob's original question thread......I used IPS Weld-On #4 cement for the polycarb. I used polycarb rather than simple acrylic because of its non-shatter-like properties. The glue is water thin and moderately quick setting ( < 1 minute).. About $9 for a 4 oz can, applied with dropper / syringe.

15. John: What was the source for the 4" fitting you attached to the lower bandsaw door?