Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Okay...Who Has a Prettier Handwheel?...

Okay...Who Has a Prettier Handwheel?...

I recently replaced my 5 inch koa handwheel with this 7 inch box elder handwheel. The 5 incher was just a bit too small. I like 'em big.

I've turned on lathes that had no handwheel. I feel lost without one. You don't know how often you use one until you turn without one. Even my cheap little Sears lathe that I bought in 1936 had a handwheel.

You like it? You have a bigger one?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nobody! Not Nobody!
    Wish I had room on my lowly PM for such a thing of beauty as that which graces your Oneway! Excellent touch!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Great looking handwheel Wally.

And, the 3520B does not have one that big, but, my 1960's vintage Yates American has an 8 incher. I don't turn on the Yates American much, it only gets pressed into service when a group of turners gather here.

It looks like the figure might cause areas of different density. Have you noticed any balance issues at higher speeds?

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Miner View Post
    Great looking handwheel Wally.

And, the 3520B does not have one that big, but, my 1960's vintage Yates American has an 8 incher. I don't turn on the Yates American much, it only gets pressed into service when a group of turners gather here.

It looks like the figure might cause areas of different density. Have you noticed any balance issues at higher speeds?
    Dale, I hadn't turned anything at high speed lately so I just went out to the shop and cranked the lathe up to 4000 rpm. Smooth as silk, so no problems.

Wally, wish my Jet 1642 had room for that! I need to measure, but I am pretty sure I wouldn't have over 5" clearance.

What about a nice "Captain's wheel", complete with spokes???

Have you folks ever discussed with your spouses about having an "open marriage" with your spouse and your lathe?

Your great handwheel is a beautiful and wonderful gift to your lathe.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Wally,

Very nice Wally. Here is a link to a thread about my handwheel. The wood is not as pretty as yours but still kind of nice.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...heel&highlight=

Dale
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

I like this! A LOT! I'm just pondering whether I should try and turn a wheel for mine... I think it will get in the way (gear box cover covers the outboard spindle) I could turn with the door open, but I think that's a no-no... My turning partner Jon has commented about handwheels too, but I think his has a problem with no spindle (he has a swivel headed machine).

Here's mine. It was made in a moment of desperation from a scrap of red alder laying on the floor under the lathe. It is finished with Hut Crystal Coat (I think), and Beall buffed. 7-1/2" by 1-1/8".

Handwheel 1.JPG
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

No trees were killed in the making of my plastic wheel!! The ones you guy's put out are sweet!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Have you folks ever discussed with your spouses about having an "open marriage" with your spouse and your lathe?
    Wally, your hand wheel is very nice, but I believe that Brian has quite possibly taken things to a new and unexpected level.......

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Wally, wish my Jet 1642 had room for that! I need to measure, but I am pretty sure I wouldn't have over 5" clearance.

What about a nice "Captain's wheel", complete with spokes???
    Umm John...I was into boating in a pretty big way for for quite a few years. One of my boats had a "captains wheel" complete with handles. Seeing that thing turning at 3000 rpm would be pretty scary.

Nice Wally. This is a project that I have had on my "to do" list for a while, but haven't gotten to it yet.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Wally! Head out here...I still have, although I'm not sure how, my Catalina 38 and the wheel has always had special care, and the deck has the teak. It is actually starting to see some use since my wife finished med school...fresh...really fresh fish and the waves lapping on the hull...turning can take a day off!
    Last edited by Jim Burr; 01-23-2012 at 10:16 PM.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Like John, not much room for a handwheel on the 1642