Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a book that chronicles someone voyage down the Mississippi River

Yeah,

We always thought it would be a fine way to explore. It's on our 'never happen shelf' now, just like the summer long trip in our trailer to Alaska, and the drive to the tip of South America.

Last time we were on the river, the TV news had a story on someone doing the entire river in a small boat. Perhaps there is a blog about it out there somewhere. Brian....have you checked you tube for stories?

Rick P

Rick there were some people from Riverton, WY that took canoes and went from either here or the headwaters 10 or so years ago. I don't think there was a book, but I wll check into it for you. The guy that got the whole thing going last name was Maybee.

Dick
    Dick Phillip
    Riverton, WY

Sorry this should have been addressed to Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Phillip View Post
    Rick there were some people from Riverton, WY that took canoes and went from either here or the headwaters 10 or so years ago. I don't think there was a book, but I wll check into it for you. The guy that got the whole thing going last name was Maybee.

Dick
    Dick Phillip
    Riverton, WY

"One Good Stroy", A Mississippi Kayak Journey by Ron Severs. ISBN 0-931714-89-3 printed by Printing Enterprises and by Nodin Press in Minneapolis. I found this an excellent and very interesting read about a small craft on a BIG river.

Brian, Mac McQuinn mentioned Shantyboat by Harlan Hubbard. I've read the book several times (the same author has a few more books). I highly recommend it, especially with what you want to do. Harlan Hubbard was a very interesting person, in many ways I admired his life. He has been called, or many considered him a modern day Thoreaux. To be brief, he married late in life (mid forty's) married a Librarian from Cincinnatti Ohio (he lived across the river in Kentucky), convinced (or should I say romanced) her to help him build a Shantyboat and float down the Ohio river ultimately to the ocean. Shantyboat covers the complete story. As a sidenote he was an accomplished painter (I believe many of his paintings he sold to sustain their way of life) and she was a cello player. Later in life a book called: Payne Hollow, Life on the Fringe of Society chronicles their lives as they spent their remaining days living on a plot of land overlooking the Ohio river. The house they lived in they built by hand (still standing today) and they lived completly off the land with no modern conveniences. Anyone reading his books will be struck with his gentle, kind approach to life and other people. He's enjoyable to read, hence the numerous times I've read his books. Public television KET.ORG has some footage of him and his wife filmed in their latter days living on the plot of ground overlooking the Ohio river thats well worth watching. Lastly I believe his trip down the Mississippi took place in the 1940's or 1950's...

Thx guys. I'll jump on those leads