Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help ID'ing a Lathe

Need some help ID'ing a Lathe

I'm going next week to check out a lathe that's currently used for metal spinning (which I might try), but the owner says can be used very well for wood turning. Its an older gentleman who has used it semi-professionally (and it retiring), but doesn't have a lot of info on it. He said its made by "JH" (very thick Scottish accent, so I might easily have misunderstood) - I couldn't find anything on the web.

Pic: http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/kjc...565200_20.jpeg
    There's no other pics, yet!

Weight ~ 1000 lbs
    4 speed manual
    3 hp, 3ph motor.

A lot of hardware comes with it (I'll see then), but no chucks etc. I've got Oneway chucks and they've offer a ton of adapters.
    The bed is obviously really short, but I'm most interested in doing bowls and hollow forms. I kinda like the idea of being able to walk around the bed, but it might be a little long for that. Dunno. I've got a second lathe if I do want to do longer stuff.

And he'll do a demo of metal spinning, lessons if I want them. So I'm very intrigued.

Olaf

Blog Entries
    That's quite an interesting lathe. I can see the benifits it would have. Any idea how heavy it is?
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I wonder if it is as heavy as it looks? Metal spinning in all about force vectors directly back against the headstock and out of balance blanks are not usually an issue. It looks almost like the center of gravity is beyond the headstock....hmmmm...

No information on the lathe, but sure looks interesting.

Edit - just noticed it appears to be bolted to the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf Vogel View Post
    Weight ~ 1000 lbs
    4 speed manual
    3 hp, 3ph motor.
    Olaf
    Guessing it weighs ~1000 lbs.

No idea on manufacture. Almost looks homemade.

You said you would primarily turn bowls on it if you were going to turn wood. That means you often start out with heavy, unbalanced blanks and need some swing. The 3 phase motor and only 4 speeds would be a deal breaker for me.

That looks like it could be a nice bowl lathe. If it does not already have a variable frequency drive, you will probably want to install one.

The seller said it came from Europe, but I couldn't get more than that, other than its built like a tank. Could be home made by someone else. I looked up some metal spinning lathes and they seem to come in some very wild variations - all very heavy duty.

Apparently, it needs to be bolted down. He said it wasn't initially, then fell over and put a substantial dent in the concrete floor.

With the motor being 3 ph, I'd add a VFD. The swing is 20". Unbalanced blanks might be and issue, but with that kind of weight, bolted to the floor and speed control, it should hopefully be manageable.

(I just noticed...I'm talking myself into something. sigh. Now if I sneak this thing into the garage....will my girlfriend notice?)

I think what a see here is a fine bowl-lathe-to-be. If you can install the VFD and get an appropriate adapter for your chucks, and bolt it down....

Whereabouts in Toronto are you?
    Nova DVR XP, so-so Sears bandsaw, no-name grinder, a load of Thompson tools, growing pile of "design opportunities"

Heck, with that thing already set up for metal spinning, I'd def set it up to do wood, but I surely wouldn't let go of the metal spinning option! Just adds possibilities!

If the price is right that could be made into a heck of a bowl lathe. 1000 lb? That's heavy enough to handle most 20 inch blanks with ease...it has a very small footprint but that could be fixed. Electronic controls? A must.

Olaf: looks like it would a heavy duty lathe. You could always fabricate a support leg under the tail stock. Nice project!
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

I would jump all over it----they when made for turning large bowls.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Very nice looking. I seem to remember a thread with this lathe pictured maybe 2-3 years ago...

Is that monster made of cast iron or concrete?

I'd be a little concerned about the tailstock... Lifting that mutha to and from the ways looks a bit too much like work to me!

David, you mean like the tailstocks on a Oneway or Mustard Monster?