Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone have this Festool linear profile sander?

anyone have this Festool linear profile sander?

I'm considering it for commercial duty doing raised panel profiles and would like some feedback if anyone has experience.

http://www.festool.com/EN/Products/P...LS-130-EQ-Plus

JR

Ooooh!!!!! Shiny green toy...

They have a 30 day no questions return policy. I brought mine back. Didn't live up to my other Festool experience.

I have the LS130 sander. I used it once for raised panels & it worked very well, but I found I could sand them faster by hand. It does work very well for sanding installed jamb extensions or other surfaces that are against another 90 degree surface. You can sand against the other surface & not damage it. As Mike said, you can get it use it for 30 days. If it does not work out you can return it for a full no questions ask refund. Just for information, I believe the only applies to the tool purchased & not to accessories.

I have it as well. It's not my "go to sander", but it is nice in that you can create your own profiles, and it works well for flush sanding along the side.

I would rate is as "good to very good", as opposed to a few other Festool sanders which I rank as "great".

I have been eyeing that as well.

I have been making sanding blocks out of Bondo to match panels and tried attaching them to the bottom of a Hutchins RO airboard, but the bondo breaks up in use, heat I guess. It was hard not to mess up the details as well.

If you buy one let me know how it works for that purpose, I hate sanding panel profiles.

Larry

Larry, have you ever tried using silicone caulking to make your sanding block profiles?

Dynabrade used to make an inline sander with a molding kit for making custom pads. I don't know if they still do or not.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rosenberger View Post
    Larry, have you ever tried using silicone caulking to make your sanding block profiles?
    No. Hows that work?

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    Dynabrade used to make an inline sander with a molding kit for making custom pads. I don't know if they still do or not.
    Cut a sample profile on a piece of wood.

Attach a piece of scrap wood on the flat of the panel, lining it up with the inside edge of the profile.

Cover the profile & the scrap with packing tape.

Cut a piece of wood for a sanding block.

Put a large amount of silicone caulking on the bottom of the sanding block.

Put an edge of the sanding block, with the silicone caulk towards the panel profile, against the scrap that was attached to the flat of the panel.

Slide the sanding block down until the caulking makes complete contact with the panel profile.

Hold the sanding block in place with a mini quick clamp & wait until the caulking cures.

After the silicone caulking cures, carefully work it loose from the packing tape & do a little trimming.

Apply a piece of self stick sand paper & start sanding.

Thanks everyone. I just watched a Cal Door factory tour video that shows them sanding profiles by hand with a ROS. Go figure. I'm still looking into all options.
    JR

That is how I sand my bevel panel profiles. Same with cove profiles.

I bought one for sanding raised panels and I found it to be too slow and the paper loaded quickly. I went back to sanding by hand and I sold the LS130...joe

I use a little 3" DA, air, I picked up from SnapOn for the cove part of the profile. The small diameter lets you have it on less of an angle, and it is light and easy to hang on to.

I just bought a new Fein and it came with a profile sander. Haven't tried it yet but if it doesn't work any better than the PC one I tried, well, I gave the PC away....

Larry

I bought the RO 90 and like it a lot for things like raised panels. Its small size and softish pad are great for inside curves. Of course it is still a lot of work doing any type of edges and involves a deft hand. It works well but isn't the Holy Grail that the perfect profile sander would be.