Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red Storm Rising

Looks great to me being completely naked!

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    My vote for no collar, no finial. Great work, and you are right - beautiful wood.

I concur.......

3. You have a winner there Tim, with or without the finial..........I like the finial......nice shape, but could be a little shorter, as the height of the form and finial both look to be near the same ............about 3/5th's would be about right. Good stuff!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

That's great no matter how you choose to present it, but I think I prefer it sans collar and finial. I like the visual lift that a finial provides the form, but this wood is too spectacular for such a vibrant finial IMHO. In all honesty, I've never really been a fan of pink ivory, so that may be part of the reason I prefer the piece unadorned. I'll bet I'd feel differently if I could see the piece in person.

I like it without. Very well done great form . The box elder is a beautiful wood to turn. Great work!

I like it without too, but I could go either way. However, I think the red finial is a little overpowering. I would probably try a red collar with a black finial.
    Either way you have a winner.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

Although I understand the "need" to use that cool red finial, for this particular piece of box elder I prefer it naked. There is plenty of visual interest in the form and any embellishment on the top distracts from a fantastic form.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Tim,

I really like the form but tend to agree with John about the finial and the collar. The collar IMHO does not blend withe the shape of the top of the vessel and the finial should then blend with the collar so there is a consistent arc from the top of the vessel, collar and finial. Like I said the form is wonderful just a little tweeking of the collar and finial is needed IMHO.

Alan

As much as I like pink ivory, I would resist the temptation to put any finial or collar on this one. It holds it's own quite nicely and the finial distracts from the sweet form and beautiful wood. No need for "gilding the lily"...
    David DeCristoforo

I want to thank all of you for your input, this was a close decision in my mind, but my lean was that the piece had too much of its own character to allow any distractions...so sans finial it will be. I'll have to save that finial for something a little plainer, or perhaps an ornament!

Larry, thanks also for suggestions on UV blocking products. I don't want to poly this, but will be looking for an oil product with driers for some final coats to help preserve some of the color.

Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

I vote no finial, no collar. Another great looking hollow form, Tim. Keep 'em coming.

Edit: I see we agree.
    Last edited by Tony Pridmore; 01-19-2012 at 10:19 PM.

Beautiful piece and wood. I agree no finial.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I agree with David, the excellent form and gorgeous wood speak for themselves. It's a wonderful piece!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

I agree with the no collar, no finial crowd. Great piece of wood and masterful hollowing job!

good information on UV (ultraviolet) screens

http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com...-finishes.html