Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Storm Rising

Red Storm Rising

This piece of box elder burl is from a root burl I've made another recent piece from...really neat stuff, the colors remind me of buckeye burl in some areas.

The vivid colors on this piece are wonderful to enjoy while they last. I've toyed with idea of using some transparent dye to hold them longer...but don't have an airbrush or any experience with one.

I'm somewhat at odds whether to go with or without finial...the pink ivory finial came from the Wood Fairy Acacia turning and it's color is a dead ringer for the red in the box elder...so too tempting to not try. Looking for opinions. The little walnut collar was needed as a transition to use this finial without re-turning it...I'm at once ok then at odds with it too.

The piece was a joy to turn, 7 1/2" tall x 7 1/2" wide, and about 13" to tip of finial. Finish is antique oil, 2 coats and more to go then perhaps a buff/wax.

Ok...I'll leave further judgement to you all! Thanks for comments/critique!
    BEB_HF_Finial2.jpgBEB_HF_Finial3_Lower Perspective _a.jpgBEB_HF_WCollar.jpgBEB_HF_WOutF_2_lower perspective.jpgBEB_HF_WOutF_lower perspective.jpg
    Last edited by Tim Rinehart; 01-19-2012 at 4:24 PM. Reason: finish details
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Tim as i'm normally a finial guy, but for some reason i really love the last pic the best. So i'm going against my norm here and saying no finial on this one. BTW don't get any better than that for wood or for the way you did it proud. Great job man.

Great looking wood and pleasing shape. The finial looks nice now with the red but not sure if if fades. Very good job in my book.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

I think its pretty cool Tim!! The finial could be a tad shorter...but it sure is different!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I'd say keep the finial, at least as long as the colors match. The red in the Box Elder may not last too long, but while it does, I think it looks great!

I actually like it with just the collar. The finial is nice but the color is just a little too strong for my taste....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

My vote for no collar, no finial. Great work, and you are right - beautiful wood.

ooohhh ooohhhh love the colors! very, very cool!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Just my 2 cents. Either ebony finial or no finial. Either way very nice piece.

In my eye ... the piece looks best without the collar or finial, still very nice though.

John

very nice, Tim, no opinion on finale, i like it with or without, i would point out as the boxelder colors fade it might look different, maybe a different colored finale for later

opps i agree with Sid

Wow, that is a vivid finial and piece of Elder. I kind of like the finial, but wonder how the piece would look with just the finial and not the collar. Great form Tim.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

I love the red colors together, and you can hand paint in red pigment on the box elder with fine brushes as J.D. Meyer used to do, but before the finish is applied. The sad fact is that the pink ivory will also fade to a honey brown over time, and from examples I've seen would be about the same color as the faded red in the box elder.

great piece I like the pink ivory finial. Box elder is one of my favorite woods, for the past 2 years I have been using a UV resistant spray clear,

U-POL CLEAR#1 part no. UP 0796, so far so good, on the fading. Spray 2-3 wet coats, sand smooth, re-coat, if the gloss level is to high, 0000 steel wool

You can find it on line, Google U-Pol Clear

That's a beautiful piece, Tim. I think I'll have to go with the non-finial crowd.

Does the red fade due to time or will UV exposure hasten the change?