Thread: Small Finishing Gloat

Small Finishing Gloat

After Reeds post about Doctors Woodshop Walnut Finishes and watching the videos I decided to get some. I picked up the Walnut Oil Finish and the Walnut Oil and Wax Finish. I have a cored bowl set to try these out on perhaps tomorrow night.
    Finish.jpg
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

We expect a full report!!

I sent an e-mail to the guy who makes these, asking about spotting. Not sure it went through, since it's one of those contact forms and doesn't supply an actual e-mail address. Anyway, the only problem I with the Beal buffing system is the carnuba wax. It looks great, but the tiniest water droplet makes rough feeling spots that have to be buffed out. I see these use a carnuba wax emulsion type thing. Do they spot as well?

Thanks for the post, Nate! I must have missed Reed's post, but I really like the price on this stuff relative to the Mahoney version... I do hope you'll keep us updated!

Jeremy- You might have better luck using something like Renaissance wax as your final topcoat or instead of the carnuba... It's expensive, but a little goes a long, long way.

John, Yes Sir!

Jeremy, I'll let you know.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Nate I talked with him for some time and ordered some. Have tried it on a ash bowl and so far it is looking pretty good. I do like it and as David said it is cheaper. I also bought the high build friction polish with shellac/walnut oil to see how it will work on smaller projects.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.